Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sedum37

Tower Hill Botanical Garden Photos (Summer - August)

sedum37
13 years ago

I went to Tower Hill Botanical Garden, Boylston MA on August 18th, 2010. What beautiful gardens! A visit to Tower Hill is a must each season. There is always something new to see. During Summer they are open late Wednesday evenings. Check if your library has passes or the late day Wednesday is 1/2 price.

Check out my photos (link below). Note you don't need a Shutterfly account to view photos.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Tower Hill Photos

Comments (7)

• deanneart
    13 years ago

Great pics from a really superb garden. have they finished the construction. I was there in the spring and the very loud, stinky, heavy machinery spoiled the visit and I decided not to go back until the work was done.

Deanne

• sedum37
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for looking. The construction is mostly done. Much less intrusive than the spring (I also visited in April and got the same impression you had!). It is supposed to be done soon (this fall). It is well worth a visit! Don't let fears of how it was this spring deter you.

• dfaustclancy
    13 years ago

Sedum37

Your photos of Tower Hill are a treasure. I have been going there for many years, even before the Orangerie was built. Now, thanks to your photos, I see they are in the midst of planning a limonarie (!) Don't know what it is, but I bet it involves lemons or citrus and I'll love it, I'm sure. Most of my visits have been in the dead of winter, where a stroll or even just a sit in the Orangerie is a blessing. You can hear the water dripping from the many fountains into the lead catchalls. And the smells of the live plants gives a pick me up and a wish for an early spring. I have only seen Tower Hill a very few times in summer. Once I took my mother and my MIL there for a stroll. I always thought that it would be not nice to go there at this time of year, since everything would be by the by, but I guess not, since you were there only a week ago. We will go there this weekend for sure, thanks to you!
    '

• defrost49
    13 years ago

Thanks for sharing. I haven't been there yet and had wondered if it was best to visit during a particular month/bloom period. Loved the neat vegetable garden with the border of chard with bright yellow stalks.

• deanneart
    13 years ago

Hi defrost, why don't you come down here and we'll go together sometime this month? I'm ready for a revisit. Their tropicals and containers are incredible regardless the season.
    Deanne

• sedum37
    Original Author
    13 years ago

debra_boston and others I am glad the photos will inspire a visit! thanks for looking! I didn't know what to expect either for summer. Surely with the drought I thought it wouldn't be lush but it was exactly opposite of what I had thought :-) It really gives ideas on what to plant in August for people looking for ideas. I've now been there each season and can truly comment that whatever season you visit it is worth a visit.

Don't forget there is a plant sale Saturday Sept 11th. I am planning to go (even though I don't need any plants...)

Saturday, September 11
    9am - 3pm
    FREE ADMISSION all day!
    6th Annual
    Gardeners' Emporium:
    Fall Plant and
    Garden Accessory Sale

Â Several regional non-profit plant societies & specialty nurseries
    Conifer, Cactus & Succulent, Garden Vision Epimediums, Greystone Gardens, Miniature Plants, Daylily, Hosta, Popes Pots, The Proper Season, The Farmstead, Royal Crest Farm, Bamboo, Fiske's Gardens, Federation of Mass Farmer's Markets, Cut It Out, and Stonegate Gardens.

• diggingthedirt
    13 years ago

Wonderful photos, they're really inspiring me to get into the car and visit tower hill (after many years of wanting to!)

Next Saturday looks like a great event, thanks for posting it too.