Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lalala_gw

Are you planting this week?

Lalala (zone 6b)
10 years ago

The weather has been so cool and lovely lately, and the forecast so nice for the next week, that it's tempting me to do some earlier-than-usual planting. I have a few shrubs I want to add, as well as some perennials to add/move. Will I regret this decision when there's a late August heatwave? Or do you think it's worth it to plant now and give fall plantings extra time to settle in? Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments (7)

• gardenweed_z6a
    10 years ago

If you've ever heard the expression, "If you don't like the weather in New England, wait a minute...it'll change" you already know the answer to your question. Would I transplant now based on the gorgeous weather we're enjoying? Not likely, barring a compelling reason.

It's been my experience that perennials moved in New England in September have plenty of time to settle in and establish themselves in their new location long before the ground freezes. The shorter hours of daylight along with cooler temperatures can provide them with moderate conditions in which to adapt & settle in to their new home.

I suggest you do your homework and take this time to research the things you plan to move so you're aware of their individual requirements.

Many garden/shrub/perennial books offer guidance as to what transplant needs various things require/prefer. The information is also generally available at White Flower Farms' website as well as Santa Rosa Gardens.'

Best of luck to you!

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    10 years ago

Trust me, I thought about it! The weather has been amazing!

But I decided against it. I figured as soon as I planted something, it would be like it was a week and a half ago - high 90's, high humidity, blazing sun and no rain in sight. I'll wait just to be sure.

Dee

• greenhavenrdgarden
    10 years ago

I planted all through the summer last year with much planted in August. Everything is fine this year. I'm planting now also. I just make sure I water well. I plant mostly shrubs and small trees (Japanese males). I'm not what conventional wisdom recommends though. The one problem I did run into was when I planted 2 Pinky Winky Hydrangeas that were in full bloom and I did it on a hot day. I should have cut off the flowers when i planted but I didn't. They lost their leaves and wilted but I babied them through the fall and they are both beautiful this year.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    10 years ago

As soon as the heat broke I took the opportunity to rip out a section of a bed that was bordering the street and planted a couple of things. I used California Poppy and Alyssum along the edge last year and it reseeded and came back this year. It looked nice in May and June when it was blooming, but during all that rain in June then the heat in July, I never weeded it once and it was so ugly, I couldn't wait to rip it all out. I added a couple of potted Sedum Vera Jameson that were hanging around, a couple of 'Toffee Twist' carex and a Violet Verbena and a lot of mulch and I left space for more Mums in another month. It is making me happy every time I look at it. :-) If it gets hot again, I'm heading out there with the hose to soak it.

But other more major changes and additions are waiting for September.

This post was edited by prairiemoon2 on Tue, Aug 6, 13 at 4:19

• Tina_n_Sam
    10 years ago

Well, I was 'suckered' in with the cooler weather. I planted the roses and hydrangeas that I propagated from stem cuttings. In fact, I was so antsy that I did it over a week ago.

Oo, I'm so afraid that if I tell you how well they are doing they will all perish.

Now I will have to pay special attention to them.

-Tina

• pixie_lou
    10 years ago

I've been tempted. I have so many wintersown seedlings that never made it into the ground last spring. But I'm instead focusing on weeding out my beds. They are such a mess since i never got to do a spring cleaning. I'll wait until September to finish the planting and to do my dividing.

• Lalala (zone 6b)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for sharing, everyone! I think I'm going to go ahead and get started on the work, since I have more than enough to fill up the next 6 weeks. But I'll hold off on planting anything precious until later.