Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone Know This Fellow?

Posted by corunum CT 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 3, 09 at 14:20

I posted this little guy in the Bird-Watching Forum, but inasmuch as there are many CT folks who drop by here, thought I'd post him too. Percher, not a clinger, comes alone, thought he might be a White-throated Sparrow, but he has dark grey legs and other markings that do not match the WT Sparrow. He/she is new to me and now comes every day. Searching through my Audubon guide and many ornithology guides on line has got me nowhere. Anyone know who this little chap is?

Thanks,
Jane

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone Know This Fellow?

Mystery solved by 'oldned' on the bird forum. It's a male juvenile rose breasted grosbeak.

o

Pretty! I've never seen a juvenile (or didn't know it if I did, lol) and have only seen a few adults around here. Great photo, too!

:)
Dee

o

I had a female RBG that visited my feeder without a more readily identifiable mate. I was obsessed until I finally figured out who she was. Bird books are not always very good with the females and juveniles. I don't know why - they are the hard ones!
: D

o

Great photo! What kind of camera did you use and how far away were you?

o

Defrost - the photo of this little Rose Breasted Grosbeak gal (think its a female not male, but not sure) was taken very quickly through my kitchen window at about 6p.m. from about 25-30 away from the feeder. The camera is a Canon SX10 IS. Its because of admiring the photos taken by Claire in Cape Cod, also shot with a Canon, that I bought this camera last month. Setting was on AUTO, which so far, is the safest mode for me. This camera, with its 20x optical zoom, is soooo much more capable than Ill ever be with it.

The hummer below was taken from inside a house from about 8 away from the window feeder- still set on AUTO. Through glass and into the morning the sun, the camera (not me) got this detail. Have to say that as a forever-to-be amateur, this camera makes me want to take pictures.
Cute little hummer, eh?

Jane

o

• Posted by claire z6b Coastal MA (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 4, 09 at 12:13

Nice photo! Nice bird! Nice camera! I hope he hangs around long enough to get his fancy big boy feathers.

I like the Sibley Guide to Birds; it shows immature and female birds as well as the adult males. Of course, you have to know enough to look at the grosbeak pages, not the sparrows.....

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Claire

o
RE RE: Anyone Know This Fellow?

• Posted by claire z6b Coastal MA (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 4, 09 at 12:23

I was wrangling with the upload of the Sibley page when you posted the hummer photos - marvelous!

A good camera will control you, but there are worse things to succumb to....

Claire

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here