Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
evonnestoryteller

Lilies a Huge Success this Year...

evonnestoryteller
14 years ago

Despite the orange beetles. Perhaps it is all the rain? I got at least full three rows of blossoms on many of them.

{{gwi:1088074}}

Comments (16)

• spedigrees z4VT
    14 years ago

Those are beautiful lilies! I love the bright orange! Must be the rain; it surely can't be sunlight since we've had precious little of that.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    14 years ago

Very nice! I'm happy to see there are some having a better lily year than I am. Mine are devastated by that darn beetle.

What's the name of your lily?

:)
    Dee

• claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
    14 years ago

Lovely lilies evonnestoryteller!

I'm also having a good lily year, I took these photos earlier today - not the best pics, but they show that the foliage is not too damaged. I've had a few lily leaf beetles, but they've been easily managed. I really believe the release of the parasitic wasps is working, at least here in SE Massachusetts

L. Casa Blanca

L. Arabesque

Claire

• terrene
    14 years ago

Lovely lilies! If only mine had looked so good!

Mine were awful, because of tendonitis in my wrists and elbows, I could not do any gardening for 3 months. The lilies didn't get any care, and the Lily leaf beetles decimated the foliage. They looked so ugly I am digging up the patch and composting them.

They are too high-maintenance now. :(

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    14 years ago

"...I've had a few lily leaf beetles, but they've been easily managed..."

Easily managed??!! Do tell, Claire, do tell, lol!

From what I've heard, there is really no way to fight these critters. I've read about the Bayer drench, but for organic gardeners, there is nothing that I have found.

I did read about the release of the parasitic wasp, but they haven't made their way down here yet. Hoping they get their little parasitic butts down here by next year!

Dee

• spedigrees z4VT
    14 years ago

Oh great! A new pest I hadn't heard of, lily leaf beetles! I googled them. I've never seen one here, but I imagine they will find me (and my beloved daylilies.)

Claire, your L. Arabesque lilies are magnificent!

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    14 years ago

spedigrees, I think your daylilies will be safe. These beetles (I believe) only go for true lilies. I do think I read somewhere that they like fritillaria too, but that was a long time ago, way before I had the beetles, (and I don't have any fritillaria) so I didn't pay too much attention.

Dee

• spedigrees z4VT
    14 years ago

Thanks Dee, I hope you're right. Although I guess now I should keep watch on my tiger lilies.

• spedigrees z4VT
    14 years ago

Oh great! I went out and examined my tiger lilies. (I have about three plants that have grown for years at the edge of my daylily bed.) Although they are relatively healthy looking, I found and squished 3 of the nasty little red beetles.

Apparently They're HERE! I hope my lilies survive the invasion next year. Are those parasitic wasps non-stinging?

{{gwi:1088077}}

• evonnestoryteller
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I call the tiger lilies the ones with the spots too. My neighbors all call the orange day lilies, tiger lilies. Apparently, tiger lily is an elusive term.

• claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
    14 years ago

Beautiful tiger lilies!

The parasitic wasps don't touch humans, or pets - just lily leaf beetles. Until then, there are chemical controls you can use so long as you don't mind using chemicals. Bayer Rose and Flower soil drenches or sprays containing imidacloprid, or sprays containing spinosad or permethrin are effective depending on the stage of the beetle (larva or adult).

See UMass Lily Leaf Beetle Fact Sheet

and

New England Gardening FAQ

Claire

• spedigrees z4VT
    14 years ago

Thanks Claire. I may resort to the wasps, if I can assure myself they don't sting. I'll wait and see if the beetle population increases next summer, as they haven't done much damage this year.

Evonne, tiger lilies are not daylilies. There are two types of tiger lilies, a native North American lily (lilium columbianum) and the Asiatic import (lilium lancifolium.) Mine are the latter type, which we found growing feral and transplanted long ago from an abandoned meadow.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lilium lancifolium

• spedigrees z4VT
    14 years ago

I should add that daylilies are not true lilies, as was mentioned above in this thread, but belong to the genus Hemerocallis.

• evonnestoryteller
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks. I actually am aware that daylilies are not true lilies. Google tiger lily, click images, and you will find plenty of tiger lilies with photos of daylilies. The use of that term, tiger lily, varies by region. Tiger lily is one of those terms that you cannot really just say it only officially belongs to some flowers. It depends on who you speak to and what area of the country you are in.

I had a few very confusing talks about tiger lilies and then realized that people were actually referring to daylilies.

Take a look at Hemerocallis fulva on plantfiles and you will see all the nicknames including tiger lilies.

Here is a link that might be useful: PlantFiles: Orange Daylily, Tawny Daylily, Tiger Lily, Ditch Lily

• spedigrees z4VT
    14 years ago

Hmmm. Calling a daylily a tiger lily does not make it one IMO, and you won't find a "tiger lily" tag on a daylily at any garden center.

One thing is for certain, I shall NEVER call a daylily a "ditch lily!"

• evonnestoryteller
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I know a lady who has her own daylily farm. She calls the common orange daylilies that grow by side of the road ditch lilies. That is because you can find them on the side of the roads growing in ditches everywhere.

I run into trouble every now and then with common names. I can just imagine all the people with those pages written up with just the common name using the wrong marigold in their potions.

Lol.