Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
runktrun

101 Reasons to Garden Naked

runktrun
12 years ago

Well actually I could only come up with one reason to garden naked (burrs) so I will leave to other one hundred reasons up to you all.

Comments (24)

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    12 years ago

Hosing down myself is rather easier than cleaning clothes.
    Gardening in the rain is more doesn't involve soggy clothing and shoes.

• claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
    12 years ago

Well, I suppose if you stand quietly, naked, you can serve as human bait for slugs and snails....I've heard they don't like to climb on clothes....

Claire

• bill_ri_z6b
    12 years ago

Conversation piece in the garden?

• runktrun
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Claire,
    LOL, I have suggested to the neighborhood teens that they stop playing freeze tag near my property but oddly enough the snails have found that their clothing has great traction and the kids seem to be thrilled with their new pets!

• mayalena
    12 years ago

Mud baths are good for the skin....

• spedigrees z4VT
    12 years ago

You can get a nice tan and soak up lots of vitamin D.

You'd save time spent both deciding what clothes to wear and putting them on.

(I really could offer a lot more reasons NOT to garden naked, the primary one being to avoid the need for a blood transfusion after the hordes of mosquitos have feasted on me. I won't venture out into the gardens at dusk even in 90 degree heat without a hat long sleeves and long pants for that reason.)

Those are fearsome looking burrs, Runktrun! How did you remove them? Lint roller? Hand picking?

• deanna in ME Barely zone 6a, more like 5b
    12 years ago

runktrun, that's a great pic. What a gal!

I'm having a hard time thinking of any reason to garden naked, and I'm a naked fan. All thae pops into my mind is mosquitos where they don't need to be and seeing my miniature and lifeless boobs, sucked dry by four wonderful chidren, flapping around as I dig and weed. Yes, I know it's gross, but naked after 40 loses some appeal outside of some plastic surgery help.

Thinking...thinking...

• sami46
    12 years ago

I can only think of 101 reasons NOT to garden naked
    LOL

• diggingthedirt
    12 years ago

Passers-by are much less likely to notice weeds and design deficiencies in your garden if you're out there naked.

Also, neighbors are much more likely to take the time to teach their children not to go into strangers' gardens to yank pretty flowers if they suspect you might be au naturelle behind your privacy screen.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    12 years ago

You all make me giggle . . .

In all honesty, in my younger years my idea of a great garden was one where I could work topless, privately, but I never had that option. Now, like Deanna and Spedigrees I honestly can think of more reasons not to, contact allergies being at least as bad as the mosquitos and various body part flapping and wobbling in unattractive ways.

12 years ago

diggingthedirt, you win the prize! That's too funny. I don't have any neighbors who can see my house, so those reasons, as fantastic as they are, don't apply. My husband feels that it's not truly home if you can't pee off the porch in comfort. I don't come from a porch-peeing family, so I disagree, but I have not control over him there.

nhbabs, all that flapping and wobbling can be overwhelming, can't it?! Anybody remember that Seinfeld episode about the girl he dated that loved hanging around his apartment naked? He thought he hit the jackpot until she started coughing, and all the flopping and wobbling ruined it all. I don't even have to cough. I could stand perfectly still and a slight breeze would get the measly girls to swayin'.

• bill_ri_z6b
    12 years ago

Deanna,
    We didn't have any porch peeing types in the family either, which is fortunate, since we don't have a porch.

• tree_oracle
    12 years ago

All of this talk about topless, and boobs, and naked, and jiggling and wiggling is making my cucumber ripe. I took a pic of my wife holding it last night. She was very impressed. She couldn't stop talking about it. Don't know what she's planning on doing with that knife though...

{{gwi:1088120}}

• ravenh2001
    12 years ago

Deanna pee off the porch was a sell point for my last 2 houses. My son (22) desided to do that on one of 4 grape vines. It is darker green. more yearly growth, bigger and better grapes than the other 3. He is frustrated that his daughters cant continue the tridition of 10 years.

12 years ago

That's very encouraging. We will probably be sellers soon. I'll be sure to mention it to the real estate agent. Maybe we should put it in the online listing..."Spacious back porch with plenty of private space for resting and 'relieving.' "

tree_oracle, stay clear of that knife!

• spedigrees z4VT
    12 years ago

Sellers soon!?? Surely you're not going to sell that lovely home with the beautiful cheery yellow shutters, Deanna???

12 years ago

Sending you a PM!

• spedigrees z4VT
    12 years ago

Did you send me an email, Deanna? I think I might have deleted it accidentally. I'm sorry. Could you re-send it? (If you put something in the subject line like "from Deanna, Garden Web" it would probably catch my eye.)

• rockman50
    12 years ago

Be very careful. If you garden naked you might get crabgrass in your lawn.

• tree_oracle
    12 years ago

Not to mention a few fungal diseases. Both require treatment from a lawn doctor.

• claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
    12 years ago

Would these be considered STD's?
    i.e., Sod-Transmitted Diseases?

Claire

• chervil2
    12 years ago

The message title captured my attention!
    I think the cucumber is a little cool and mild. Also, remember that knives are not toys. How about hot cayenne and banana peppers, excited eggplant, and long , large zucchini?