Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flynnmy

Iris Transplanting

flynnmy
10 years ago

I have several iris perennials that I'd like to transplant. They do not bloom -I suspect they're not getting enough sun. I've read the best time to transplant an iris is mid summer. End of July, early August. Once I transplant, should I cut the iris(s) down or leave the long greens until first killing frost? Thanks for any advice or suggestions.

Comments (8)

• pixie_lou
    10 years ago

I transplant my irises shortly after blooming. 4th of July is my target. I cut off the spent blossom, cut the leaves down to about 5-6" inches, and transplant.

• flynnmy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks pixie_lou! :-)

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    10 years ago

Pixie lou, that is interesting. I too had always heard that iris should be transplanted in later summer or early fall. I'm assuming, then, that you have success in moving them that early?

Dee

• bill_ri_z6b
    10 years ago

I agree with the method that Pixie-lou described. But this year I had no choice but to move some older plants that were in bud in early June. I was sure not to plant them too deep, and then I kept them well watered for a few weeks. They didn't even blink, and they bloomed just fine. They are doing fine. So, maybe they're more forgiving than we think. But if you have the option, I have always heard of the preferred method as Pixie-lou described.

{{gwi:5901}}

• terrene
    10 years ago

I have heard that late summer was the ideal time. Much of the foliage on mine has died back by then and this gives them several months to establish roots before the ground freezes.

However, I've moved Irises in both the Spring and fall too. I've received loose Iris rhizones at a swap and planted them a month later. I've let Iris rhizomes sit along the edge of the garden and they got dried and shriveled, but still survived. I also moved a couple in the middle of bloom this past spring. They weren't crazy about that but they are doing fine.

I plant the rhizome at surface level, and also sprinkle a little organic bulb fertilizer around the roots at planting time.

• flynnmy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you everyone! I appreciate the advice. I transplanted yesterday and am hoping for the best. :-)

• pixie_lou
    10 years ago

Your irises should do fine. You want to keep them moist, not wet. They don't like sitting in wet soil.
    Irises do have a tendency to not bloom the year after separating or transplanting. But if they are happy in your new location, then you should get quite a few blooms next year.
    Every spring when the new growth is emerging, I sprinkle ~1 teaspoon on imidichloprid on each plant -to prevent iris rhizome borer.

• terrene
    10 years ago

I rarely have problems with the Iris borer - occasionally lose some part of a root, but Irises spread rapidly once established so that hasn't been a problem. Irises are so rugged that mine are thriving along the hot, lean, dry edge of the sidewalk.

When seeds or plants are treated with systemic neonicotinoid pesticides like Imidacloprid, the pesticide is translocated throughout the plant to the pollen and nectar at sublethal levels and guttation drops at lethal levels. Studies have suggested that even at sub-lethal levels this pesticide can affect bee behavior and it may be a factor in colony collapse disorder.

There are no plants in my gardens that are worth poisoning the insects.