Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bill_ri_z6b

Agapanthus

bill_ri_z6b
14 years ago

I have a nice clump of Agapanthus that is thriving beautifully for about 5 years. Foliage is lush and healthy, but it never blooms. It gets several hours of sun, regular feeding and watering and is in good soil in a perennial bed. Does anyone have any ideas on why it doesn't bloom?

Comments (8)

• runktrun
    14 years ago

Bill,
    I seem to be in a similar situation but I suspect for different reasons. From what I have read and been told by others who are successful with this African bulb even the cold hardy varieties can be demanding of specific conditions for it to bloom. For this reason many folks in cold regions tend to keep these plants in pots. As you are offering your Agapanthus full sun weekly fertilizing of 20-20-20 and keeping it well watered you may consider some of the following conditions I have been told that this plant needs in order to bloom.

1. It is a bulb and gets it's energy for the following year from this years leaves so make sure you continue to water it well until frost/dormancy.

2. Make sure the crown of your plants are not planted too deeply (like peonys) they wonÂt bloom if the crown is any deeper than 2".

3. When you say several hours of sun do you mean 6 or more? Any less and your plants will either grow poorly or develop a mass of lush foliage at the expense of flowers.

1. The roots of the Agapanthus like to be crowed (another reason folks grow these in pots).

5. Be patient after moving or dividing it can take a year or two for it to bloom again.

6. I am not positive but I believe they need light during the winter ie cold green house rather than dark basement.

As you seem to have a good size plant you might consider moving, dividing, or potting some of your plant next spring and see what is most successful? It would be wonderful if you report back with your results.

• bill_ri_z6b
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the input. I don't think they are planted too deeply but I will check that. If as you say they depend on previous year's growth then they should be blooming since they flourish every year. They do get 6+ hours of sun also. I will let you know.

Just an aside....my Clerodendron is at it's peak! Covered with flowers and spreading fragrance all over the garden.

• runktrun
    14 years ago

Bill,
    I have learned (the hard way) to dig up and move one Clerodendron and keep the other in a planter in order to keep them from taking over. Mine are such a magnet for my humming birds that it is well worth the effort. How are you keeping yours in check? kt

• diggingthedirt
    14 years ago

Hmmm, how big a planter do I need to grow clerodendron?

I found Katy's photo of it on a thread from last October (linked below, hummer photo at the bottom of the page) and now I think I really need to have this in my yard. I don't want to have to move it (I'd be likely to forget).

Here is a link that might be useful: clerodenron and hummingbird

• ginny12
    14 years ago

I did not know that agapanthus was hardy at all in New England. I grew it for years, not so successfully, in pots. I think they like sun and heat and root-crowding.

But I just got back from England and was amazed to see a long border of nothing but agapanthus, heavily budded, in Yorkshire, where it gets pretty cold in winter tho these were in a protected location in a raised bed at the foot of a wall. The border was way too big to imagine they dug them each fall and they looked well settled in. And not much sun in Yorkshire, I can tell you that. Go figure.

• runktrun
    14 years ago

Dtd,
    Hmmm, how big a planter do I need to grow clerodendron?
    I have two clerodendron standards (easy enough to do) the one I allow the freedom of one yearÂs root growth in the soil prior to transplanting is now 5' tall 4' wide with a substantial trunk (compare to 1/2- 1/3 growth of wisteria standard).
    On the other hand the planter that I use is cast iron with a 18" wide base that is about two 2' deep. For some unknown reason the variegated clerodendron I have been very successful at killing off every winter regardless of neighboring successes. As irony always prevails I had ripped out massive handfuls of young clerodendron's just an hour prior to your post...but fear not I never get all that I am trying to eradicate. I can either bring a youngin on thurs. or hold off and do a little standard training.

Ginny,
    Ginny, welcome home. I for one have been waiting with baited breath to hear and hopefully see reports from your trip. Tell all what did YOU learn that you can apply to YOUR garden? What were the similarities of an English garden vs New England garden? What were the differences? What new English plant intros can you share with us? So bottom line what impressed you the most, design, color, texture? What were you hearing about the US? Are they still crazy for our naitives?

• bill_ri_z6b
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Runktrun,

I have one Clerodendron in a corner of a grassy area and mowing pretty much keeps the seedlings from taking over. The larger one is in a mulched bed and I can pull them up fairly easily when I do weeding maintenance.

Ginny,

I have a hardy variety of Agapanthus and it has not only survived for the past several years but it has made a full and lush clump. But it has not bloomed since I planted it. Regarding English gardens, I also saw lots of Agapanthus there when I went in May. They can bloom well even with limited sunshine. I have a feeling that I may have mulched a little too deeply so I removed some mulch and I'll see what happens.

My Clerodendron is about 8' x 8' in the ground. But since they can bloom when quite small I imagine you could start with a fairly small container. The only problem is that it will be much more susceptible to root freeze. On the other hand, if the container is small enough you can bring it to a sheltered spot in winter (such as an unheated garage or basement.)

• bill_ri_z6b
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sorry for the oversight in my previous post. The info regarding containers for Clerodendron was directed to Diggingthedirt, not Ginny. (Must have been out in the sun too long!)

And to anyone who can help, this may not be the correct place to post this question but the "Help" link for these forums seems to be down. I would like to add photos to my messages but I have no idea how to do it. Any help is appreciated.