Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
snowling888

Oriental beetle trap

snowling888
13 years ago

I have a lot oriental beetles infested in garden beds, as well as outdoor potted plants. Well, yesterday when I planted the flowering almond plant in ground because it was doing not so well. I found more than ten grubs in 12" pot. That solved the problem that why my potted plants look sick, so do the young shrubs I planted this spring.

Last year, we had so many oriental beetles in the above ground pool that my kids didn't want to get close to it. This spring I used lawn pesticide, it helped. Should use lawn pesticide in garden beds and pots? They seem coming from my neighour's lawn. He doesn't use any control. I'm not a fan of pesticide, trap seems an option. However, some people think that traps are invitation for more pest, what do you think?

Comments (2)

• sue36
    13 years ago

Assuming you are talking about Japanese Beetles, there is nothing you can do to prevent them from eating your plants unless you spray everything with toxic chemicals or you spend a lot of time hand-picking them off. You can save your own lawn by treating your lawn with a GrubX type product or Milky Spore. But they beetles will still fly onto your property from your neighbors'. The traps attract the beetles to the area where the traps are. If you have a large enough property you can place the traps near your property line and try to catch some before they get to your gardens, but the traps only catch a small number. We have no grubs in our lawn and the beetles come from neighboring properties that are hundreds of feet (at least 300') from my gardens. From what I can tell, they will travel quite a distance for their favorite foods (which in my garden are hibiscus and roses).

• diggingthedirt
    13 years ago

I'm surprised to hear that you're finding grubs, since most of the scarab beetles that I see around here (Japanese, Oriental, and Asiatic garden beetles, among others) are now in their mature beetle phase, not in the grub stage. Any chance you were seeing something other than beetle grubs?

And, most types of grubs don't feed on everything, they have pretty narrowly focused appetites, with grass being their main food. That's why most chemical controls for the grub stage are used on lawns, not flower beds. So, I'd be a little surprised if they're the cause of these various problems.