Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
terrene_gw

Did you feel the Earthquake??

terrene
12 years ago

It's odd, most people I've spoken to didn't feel anything. I felt it very clearly here in metro West Boston, sitting at my kitchen table poring over the butterfly caterpillars (something I spend about 12 hours a day doing at the moment!).

An interior door in the house started bumping, I couldn't understand what was moving the door, the wind chimes started waving back and forth, and the earth felt like it turned to jelly for a half minute or so. Never felt anything like this - one of the weirdest feelings ever! I immediately called my Dad who didn't answer, then called the police and they confirmed that yes, it WAS an earthquake.

Did you feel anything?

Comments (17)

• carol6ma_7ari
    12 years ago

My place is 15 ft. in front of the commuter rail tracks, so I might've felt it and thought it was a train. A friend was across town (Cambridge) and on an upper floor. The people on upper floors definitely felt it.

• claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
    12 years ago

I was inside in the kitchen and I didn't feel it. I didn't even know about it until I happened to go online a little later. Years ago when I was living in NYC I felt one so I would have noticed.

Claire

• spedigrees z4VT
    12 years ago

We didn't feel it here, but my sister in the Boston area did, and I bet my DC relatives felt it more strongly! I remember a quake back in the 1970s that shook our house.

Are you raising more butterflies this year Terrene? I've been sparing a lot of stinging nettles during my weeding forays since you wrote that nettles are the black swallowtails' caterpillar food!

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    12 years ago

I felt it, and couldn't figure out what was going on. Either I was shaking, or the desk and the computer were shaking. Since everybody knows that desks can't shake by themselves, it must be me.

• pixie_lou
    12 years ago

We were in the car on our way to the Indian Grocery store in Waltham. So we didn't feel anything. When we got to the store, lots of people were on there cell phones - I heard a lot of people saying "Did you feel it?" Had no idea what was going on. On the way home, I saw a downed tree right by the pike on ramp on Rt. 30 - so now I figure that the earthquake knocked it down. I had no idea there was an earthquake until I got home!

Hubby works on the 27th floor of an office building in town - I'm wondering if he felt it.

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

Yep! Close as I want to come to a larger one since I work on the top floor of an office building in Windsor, CT. The floor started shaking, then it moved, then cubicle walls started swaying along with the window curtains. Then the floor shook a lot more. We had a minor one last summer that was just a tremblor centered in Ontario...this was 10 times worse. June 2010 made me scared; August 2011 made me terrified. My knees turned to jelly but someone helped me up out of my chair and we made it down the stairs and out to the parking lot. After about an hour they announced the building had sustained no structural damage and we went back inside. Guess how scared I was riding up on that elevator?

With the epicenter so close to D.C., it bothered me our so-called representatives were all on vacation so they didn't get shaken up like the rest of us.

• ginny12
    12 years ago

Not a thing here, a half hour north of Boston. Checked with the neighbors and nothing either. But I think we are on bedrock here--less likely to shake.

I lived in California for a year and we never had one--but we did when we lived in Tennessee. It sounded, and felt, like a low-flying jet plane that went on for several minutes. A long rumble. That was before I had heard of the New Madrid fault, that is said to have caused the worst (supposedly) earthquake in US history. Glad I didn't know it when I lived there.

• rockman50
    12 years ago

Yes..it was quite noticeable here in SE Mass. The building I was in swayed gently, so much so that at that moment I remember thinking...if this keeps up I will be sea sick. It took me a few moments after that to consider the fact that I just experienced a quake.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    12 years ago

I didn't feel it in my basement office on the NH seacoast, but DH in the upstairs of his shop (in central NH) did - everything he had hanging started swinging. He said it was silent, though, and other earthquakes that I have noticed had an accompanying rumble.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    12 years ago

I didn't feel it at all, but one of our kids felt it at work in her office building. It was mild but very noticeable. She said it made her a little dizzy for a minute. She didn't mention any sound at all. She thought maybe someone was working on the building or in the street that was causing it until she heard people in the office talking about the earthquake.

• FroofyCat
    12 years ago

i was sitting in a lounge chair in the yard and felt it - but it only lasted like 2 seconds. I'm in Andover, MA

• bill_ri_z6b
    12 years ago

I felt nothing here in Providence, but according to the news some people here did.

• terrene
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Spedigrees, I didn't mean to ignore your question. Guess the earthquake is old news, Irene is the news now. Yes I am raising Monarchs, Black Swallowtails, and for the first time Spicebush Swallowtails too. I've got over 100 Monarch larvae right now from tiny caterpillars to chrysalises.

As far as I know, Nettles are not a Black Swallowtail food. Their host plants include Dill, Fennel, Rue, Parsley, Queen Anne's Lace, and Zizia species. However, Nettles are host plants for the Question Mark and Red Admiral.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    12 years ago

Geez, I didn't feel a thing! Didn't know anything about it till about 10 minutes after I walked in the door from work and they interrupted my soap opera for a special report. I guess I was driving while it happened and maybe that's why I didn't feel anything.

No one I know felt anything here in my neck of the CT woods. My mom in D.C., on the other hand, sure did!

Dee

• sooey
    12 years ago

Yes, I felt it on the outer Cape. I was here at my basement computer, my chair sits directly on the cement slab. I felt what I thought was movement but when I looked outside, nothing was moving. I thought for a moment that it was something wrong with me, I was having inner ear or BP med issues. Very gentle vibration. I forgot about it until I saw that people were talking about on Facebook. Amazing that so many of us felt a 5.9 earthquake so far from it's center.

sooey

• Marie Tulin
    12 years ago

Hi Sue,
    did you get a note I sent about having a couple of big clumps of Happy Returns? Do you want them?
    Also, I have to vent. What is with this Bill RI6 and his complaining about the NE Forum? He seems to feel left out but does he see how alienating his comments are. I was so annoyed I actually called him on it on the thread "this forum" I hate to fan flames but it was more than I could manage to ignore. Or I didn't want to ignore it.

How's your son doing now? School starts very soon. Hope you and he are weathering pre school jitters well. What did he do all summer?

I just had a crew plant about 6 hydrangeas and a viburnum and miscellaneous stuff. And do a beautiful job edging; it will look like an pseudo english garden until Irine comes stomping in.

Someone else had the idea of taking photos before the storm. Great idea. But I don't take photos, do I? I have an idea....if you need help putting things away Saturday, I'll give you a hand if you'll come take some photos before Sunday. What say you?

Whatever you say, stay safe on Sunday and be well all the time!
    Marie

• terrene
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey Marie, as of yesterday I didn't get your email, but my email on GW hasn't been working since before your swap, have contacted GW to no avail, which is very annoying. I put my email address on "My Page".

I would LOVE the Happy Returns and would have been happy to take pictures too, but don't think I'll have time to stop over today. I have lots of stuff to do here still around the house, as well as at another commercial property I take care of.

Why don't you think about a disposable camera just for this purpose? I'm crossing my fingers Irene won't ruin the gardens because they are really pretty right now. The Phlox, tomatoes, zinnias, Yvonnes Salvia, etc. are really spectacular.