Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lalala_gw

Dwarf globe blue spruce? Shrub or perennial options

Lalala (zone 6b)
9 years ago

The Norway maple tree on the street in front of our house is dying and will be removed by the town in the next couple of months. This means that my part-shade gardens will become much sunnier soon, at least for the 10+ years it will take for any new trees to start providing shade.

I have three large blue hostas in one part of the front garden that I've never loved. They make a patch that is about 8' x 6' at its widest. Since they probably won't like the increased sun anyway, I thought this would be a good time to think about replacing them. I do like the blue color that they add to the garden, though I would consider other options too.

One idea I've had is one or two dwarf globe blue spruces. I see that they are incredibly expensive if you buy a larger size, though (and slow growing so it's not worth it to buy small). Is it worth it? What has your experience been?

Or, what else might you suggest that would add interest/color to the garden? I'd want something relatively well-behaved and that doesn't require tons of maintenance. Nothing too tall/upright, because they are partly in front of some hydrangeas that I don't want to block.

thanks!

Comments (3)