Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
casey1z7act

Time to schedule CT fall plant swap

casey1gw
18 years ago

Next month is September and time for our bi-annual swap. This way we'll have plenty of time to check our schedules and see what plants will need dividing. This year we should add plants that we are looking for as well as those we can bring. I'm so glad I moved to CT. I have deer, rabbits, chipmunks and now asian beetles. Everytime I actually see a flower in my garden I say "Thank you God". Hopefully, I'll have some survivors to bring.

Everyone, let's see if we can work out a day to have our wonderful and fun plant swap.

Hedy

Comments (13)

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    18 years ago

Let's propose some dates. So far the only weekend day I'm not free in September (besides Labor Day) is Sept 10th, a Saturday.

Sue

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    18 years ago

No way, I don't want to think about summer being over yet! I'm free most weekends except for Sat. Sept. 24. Hedy, those Malva Zebrina finally appeared a couple of yards away from where they were before.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    18 years ago

Yikes! It can't be that time already, can it?

Well, I'm selling at the farmer's market every Saturday, so if you want a Saturday, you guys pick a date and I'll see what I can do. Sundays, I think I'm available any of them. The 15th is my 20th wedding anniversary (sheesh, now THAT'S scary!!) so that weekend of the 17th may end up being booked, but knowing my DH, I have a feeling I won't have any plans, and I'll be free to come to the swap, lol!

:)
    Dee

• ego45
    18 years ago

I'd prefer it to be toward the end of September. Early October will be even better, as I'll be digging and dividing my lily's 'groves' this fall and than later it will be than better for bulbs and you (then more bulbs and bulblets I'll bring to the swap, hehe).
    I just look at the calendar, Sat or Sun, Oct 1-2 sounds like neither too late, nor too early.

• siennact
    18 years ago

The later, the better I guess! Oct 1-2 works for me.

tina

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    18 years ago

October 1st is not good for me (we have a wedding to attend) but the 2nd is fine.

Sue

• aeiger
    18 years ago

I prefer end of September or early October. Either Saturday or Sunday. I took cuttings of Montauk daisies a few months ago and they are looking quite nice. Are we doing a potluck again? I also have dark purple monarda that is just starting to root and a few weeks more will help them establish. /Abi

• the_shady_lady
    18 years ago

I like October 2nd too.

Virginia

• casey1gw
    Original Author
    18 years ago

It seems that Sunday Oct 2 works for most people. Hopefully, it will have cooled off too. Put it on your calendars. The potluck is fun too if everyone still wants to bring something. It might also be a better time for Ron and Young's Nursery. Now we have to invite everyone because the more the merrier.

Hedy

• amysue31
    18 years ago

I'm looking forward to attending again--this spring was my first time and it was terrific meeting fellow gardeners and sharing the wealth! As always, I seem to have a number of plants that other folk may find too invasive, but I like the advantage of having my own "nursery" and keep dividing and spreading them around. I should have Lemon Balm, Gooseneck Loostrife, Monarda (pinks, purples, lavenders), and also some petasites.
    October sounds good to me too as I still don't feel like I've had a chance to enjoy the garden yet this summer!

Amy

• ronr
    18 years ago

okay I guess oct. 2 it is...before I noticed this thread i started a new thread in the exchanges forumas well.
    see ya soon!
    ron

• jackbe1
    18 years ago

So the plant swap is this is October 2nd at Youngs Nursery in Wilton, CT at 10am? Hope to see you all there.

Jack from Trumbull.
    jackbe1@earthlink.net

• ronr
    18 years ago

Hi Jack, one slight correction.
    the plant swap is being held at youngs nurseries in woodbury ct. not wilton. this is the same company but the woodbury location is much larger (over 54 acres). it is located at 130 washington rd. (rt. 47 just south of the woodbury ski area)
    in woodbury.
    see ya soon.
    ron

Here is a link that might be useful: link to ct swap thread