Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blaketaylore

summer squash recipes?

blaketaylore
12 years ago

Hello All,

We have been canning summer squash relish and its fantastic. But we now have 24 jars of it enough to last us a couple of years as well as gift some friends with. We have also dehyrated our yellow summer squash enough to fill a gallon container. And yet the yellow summer squash keeps producing. Any great recipes for canning yellow squash besides the summer squash relish?

Blake

Comments (7)

• pixie_lou
    12 years ago

You can use yellow summer squash as a substitute for any recipe that calls for zucchini. All summer squashes are interchangeable.

Since summer squashes are low acid, they need to be pressure canned. And the pressure canning pretty much turns the squash to mush. There is a recipe where you can the zucchini with tomatoes. I've never tried it. I've linked it below.

You could make zucchini/summer squash pickles.

Shred it, freeze in 2 c. portions - perfect for making zucchini bread. Or make zucchini bread and freeze the zucchini bread. I do this, but make it into muffins. DD and DH each get a muffin in their lunch every day.

I also use the shredded frozen zucchini to put in just about anything - meatloaf, pasta sauce, soups casseroles.

Let me know if you want my recipe for zucchni noodles or for a savory zucchini parmesan bread.

Here is a link that might be useful: Canned zucchini with tomatoes.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    12 years ago

I also shred and freeze it. Then it goes into zuke bread recipes or garden veggie stew, a combo of chicken or ground beef, eggplant, tomatoes, shredded zuke (so DH doesn't notice that it's in there), chopped peppers, onions, garlic, and basil, oregano, and wine to taste. Serve over rice or pasta.

You can cut sticks of summer squash and either eat it like any raw veggie sticks or shake it in a bag with your favorite salad dressing and then grill it. It also grills reasonably well as thick slices.

My granny used to slice it and layer it in a casserole dish with onions and cheese and top it with a combo of breadcrumbs and cheese. Bake until tender.

• pixie_lou
    12 years ago

I just remembered - I made a bunch of faux pineapple with a couple of my baseball bat squashes. My 6 year old gobbles the stuff up. I'm going to make another batch next week.

Here is a link that might be useful: Zucchine Pineapple

• tree_oracle
    12 years ago

Here's a recipe for squash casserole that I use. It turns a rather healthy low-calorie vegetable into something a bit more artery clogging but it is absolute heaven to eat:

Squash Casseroleâ¨â¨

4 medium to large yellow summer squashâ¨
    1 medium to large Vidalia-type onion chopped
    â¨1 sleeve Ritz crackers
    1 cup shredded Cheddar cheeseâ¨
    2 eggs, beatenâ¨
    3/4 cup milkâ¨
    1/2 stick of butterâ¨
    1 tsp saltâ¨
    1 1/2 tsp black pepper

Preheat oven to 350. Put squash, onion, and about a cup and a half of water in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook until squash and onions are tender. Drain well. Add half stick of butter and let melt.

In medium bowl, crush crackers and stir in cheese. Add salt and pepper, stir. Stir half of the cracker mixture into the squash.

In small bowl, mix together milk and two eggs. Pour into squash mixture. Stir well. Pour into 13 x 9 casserole dish. Top with remaining crumb mixture and bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes, or until top is browned.

• spedigrees z4VT
    12 years ago

Although not a canning recipe, this is a really yummy dish that sounds vaguely similar to Babs' granny's recipe. I'm not sure how this would taste with yellow summer squash, but it is delicious with zucchini.

In a large frying pan saute finely minced garlic cloves and finely diced onion in olive oil. Add 2 shredded zucchinis, several cups of cottage cheese, one pkg of cubed tofu (bean curd) and several tablespoons tomari (or soy sauce.) Cover and cook. Uncover and sprinkle 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese over the top. Re-cover the pan and cook until cheese melts.

• defrost49
    12 years ago

Zuni Cafe's recipe for zucchini pickles is great but it only makes a small batch for the frig. You can probably sub yellow squash for cukes in a bread and butter pickle recipe.

There are several great recipes for zucchini baked goods from muffins to quick breads that could be made and frozen. Usually the recipes require 2 cups of shredded zucchini.

My zucchini is pooping out. What kind of summer squash did you plant?

• annie_nh
    12 years ago

MY sister makes a chocolate zucchini bundt cake which is absolutely delicious.
    We keep some shredded zucchini in the freezer so that she can make some cakes during the winter.

Annie