Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ctreynard

Best organic compost/resource for a truckload?--western ma

ctreynard
15 years ago

Hey, all! I live in Chicopee, (western MA), and need approx 4 cubic yards of compost. Any recommendations on where to get some? I'll also need mulch. Any suggestions on what type to get? Someone has recommended cocoa mulch....nays or yays on that? THANKS!

c

Comments (12)

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

Carolyn...

I found suppliers through the Northeast Organic Farming Organization [NOFA]. Try looking around their website for a list and they also have a telephone number I think.

:-)

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

Ooops! Forgot to add the link...

Here is a link that might be useful: NOFA

• ctreynard
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, pm2!

• ctlavluvr
    15 years ago

A bit late, but if you're willing to travel 20 miles or so, right around the corner from me in Enfield CT is the best stuff I've seen, and they also have a on-the-farm-made ice cream stand, to boot.

Suggest you call ahead and make sure the bobcat's working so you don't have to help shovel all that brown gold :-)

Martie, Z6 CT

Here is a link that might be useful: Great Compost and Manure supplier

• asarum
    15 years ago

Here is my take on cocoa mulch. I like the way it smells, but was surprised that my mother(and perhaps other people) didn't like the smell. It is hazardous to dogs who can die if they eat it. The chocolate smell attracts them. My vet had warnings and it sounds as if local pets have died. Every year that I used it, it got moldy. Buckwheat hulls give the same look, but don't seem to get moldy. However, both the cocoa mulch and the buckwheat hull mulch are expensive. I put the buckwheat in my special containers and put a bark mulch, chopped up leaves or straw in my extensive beds.

• ctreynard
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Asarum;

Thanks for the cocoa mulch update. I have a dog, bella, and she is so greedy...i can't imagine what i would have done if something happened. Is the buckwheat hull good organic-wise? I mean, when it breaks down, are the nutrients worthwhile?

Martie, thanks so much for the post! Do you know if they sell bags of it, or is it just truckloads?

• asarum
    15 years ago

I don't know of any information on specfic value of buckwheat hulls over just plain ground up leaves. People like the way they look. Because they are lightweight they might blow away. The same is true for ground up leaves. In my experience only a problem until they get wet the first time. But remember I only use the buckwheat hulls in containers. Also they would be quick to be sweep away by water whereas a lot more force is needed to sweep bark mulch away. See link for more info.

Here is a link that might be useful: More on mulches

• poppa
    15 years ago

Check your local landfil. Some have composting areas.

Call around to horse farms or look for people with backyard horses - most will be glad to get rid of manure which you can compost into the best stuff you ever had.

Call a landscaper. They are always looking for a free place to dump thier fall leaves. Saves a trip to the dump.

Poppa

• ctreynard
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Poppa, that's a good idea. :) Thanks so much!

• ctlavluvr
    15 years ago

Ctreynard - I know they sell bags at our local Agway, but suggest you call and ask if they're available at the farm.

My take on cocoa: It's really, really light, and has a tendancy to wash off easily. When I've used it, it's been in containers for the smell and "unique" aspect, but wouldn't invest for an entire ground garden.

Love Poppa's idea, but remember that you won't have it to use until next year sometime if you start it now and do it organically .... Maybe a combo of already ready and make-your-own?

Martie

• ctreynard
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Martie,

Thanks for posting, and for making sure that I knew about the timeframe. :) I appreciate it. I'll give the farm a call. :)

• ctreynard
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Martie,

Apparently I haven't discovered how to go thru websites correctly...LOL Prices were listed as well as options. Link provided for others that may be in the area....

Here is a link that might be useful: Collins compost pricing