Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
i have a wasp nest...

Posted by FroofyCat (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 24, 11 at 17:06

it's under my back dining room/porch - sorta hard to explain but there is this bit of overhang from my dining room, so the underneath part is insulated and covered with plywood. But a bit of the plywood has sort of warped giving a nice little gap for wasps.

So far my strategy has been to ignore it and hope it goes away.

thoughts? experience?

Am I right that in the NorthEast the winters kill them all off and the larva just sit there till spring... so one thing I read say to block off the entrance once the workers are gone in the winter and you're done. They don't come back to the same nest site year after year.

I put two traps down there a week ago. One has caught about 4, the other none. I was thinking of buying a bunch more of those traps but I'm not sure if it's worth the money to buy more?

Spraying them myself would be very difficult, 1) to get an angle far enough away to be safe and still get right into the gap, and 2) I've heard they can go nuts and burst through to inside the house to get away from sprays.

I don't know how to judge if it's a big nest or not? I bet if I looked under there now I'd see 2 - 4 buzzing around the entrance. I have not used an exterminator before and admittedly don't have a great opinion of their services, but recommendations for a good one would be welcomed - in the event someone thinks I should not ignore it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
sorry - this isn't directly garden-related!

i didn't know who else to ask!

o
RE: i have a wasp nest...

You can buy cans of Raid that will spray from 25 - 30 ft away. I took out a hornet's nest last year with that stuff. It's hard to say in your case how big the nest is and how many are in hiding. I saw a few yellow jackets flying around one of my shutters last week and thought there might be a small nest behind the shutter. I started spraying with the same wasp and hornet killer and to my shock about three dozen yellow jackets came pouring out of the shutter. So you never know how many you might be up against. However, these insect sprays make short work of them. You might leave this job for a professional if you are allergic to wasp stings.

o
RE: i have a wasp nest...

Yes, wasps are tender annuals :-) Unless it's in an area where people often travel, like next to a door, I'd leave it. Then plan on sealing the gap sometime before they show up again next spring. Do double check and make sure the dining room screens are in good order, or just keep those windows closed so long as the wasps are there.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here