Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Flag Poles?

Posted by pixie_lou 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 8, 14 at 20:09

Does anybody have a vertical flag pole? As opposed to one of those house mounted angle ones. Thoughts? Comments? In particular, does it look stupid if it doesn't have a flag on it? Since flag etiquette dictates that you cannot keep a flag out at night unless it is illuminated - and what are the chances that I will diligently put the flag out every morning? And since this will be in front of the Master bedroom window, I will not keep the flag illuminated all night.

The landscapers are coming Monday to redo all of our hard scape in the front. New stairs, relocated front walk way, new retaining wall, new lamp post, laser level the front yard. So I'm busily digging up the white garden to clear the work area. Once they are done, the white garden will expand by ~8 feet. And I thought a flag pole might look nice off to the side of this newly expanded garden.

I've always wanted to have a vertical flag pole. But now that the opportunity presents itself, I'm thinking logically about it. Trying to decide if it really is a good idea.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Flag Poles?

My folks had one and it became exactly what you suspicion. When the flag flew, it was very nice. When it hung limply, not as good. Never flew in the winter. When it didn't go outside, we had a white pole. Follow your gut.
Jane

o

Yes, follow your gut!

Flag poles look lovely in front of a town hall or a public library, but when I see one in front of a house, I often wonder ... are the residents cheating on their taxes, or not bothering to vote, or bribing politicians, and then trying to make up for it by flying a big flag?

LOL, sorry if that's not helpful! I like the little poles that mount on a bracket and can be removed whenever there's no flag. Much less maintenance, too!

o

Jane - thank you for bringing up the point that I would also need to have a wind machine installed to make the flag look nice!

Digging - how did you know I cheat on my taxes and bribe politicians? ;')

Thank you both for helping my realize that this is not going to become the idyllic vision in my head.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here