Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wilting squash plant?

Posted by shawski none (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 1, 14 at 20:59

Hello! One of my container squashes is wilting. I see no squash vine borer damage and the dirt is quite moist. The container seems adequate in size from my POV (but I might be wrong it's 14 x 14 x 9), and I have tomatoes in a similar container and that plant is doing well at about 5 ft tall. The squash vine was taught to climb a metal tomato cage. I honestly have no idea what kind of squash it is since it came in a burpee mixed winter packet. A pic is attached showing the biggest fruit on it. Can someone tell me what kind if squash it is, if I missing something that's making it wilt, or if it's just the horrid and craptastic weather were having in New England taking it's toll? It seems to kind of bounce back at night - but seems to be bouncing back less and less. My other squash in my garden are fairing much better but they are also in a shadier area of my yard. I will post this is the garden clinic forum as well but I was hoping fellow New Englanders could comment more effectively on the weather piece. Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wilting squash plant?

The squash looks like a buttercup squash (not butternut). We have liked that variety.

My zucchini plants are wilting due to what I think is plectosporium blight. The squashes start getting covered with tiny raised bumps. Leaves and stems become brittle. Had it last year so planted in a different bed. Google photos to see if you plants look like that.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here