Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pixie_lou

Show us your gardens - a photo thread - August 2013

pixie_lou
10 years ago

What do you know. It's August already. My time flies!

This is a place to post photos, and to discuss, what is in your garden. This is the thread for August 2013. All garden photos are welcome. As we enter summer, the emphasis will be on blossoms. However, all landscape and garden photos are welcome. If it is a photo taken in your garden or your yard, it is fair game to post it here.

Here is the link for the August 2012thread.

For previous 2013 threads:

July 2013 part 2

July 2013 part 1

June 2013 part 2

June 2013 part 1

May 2013

April 2013 part 1

April 2013 Part 2

March 2013

February 2013

January 2013

To see all of the 2012 threads, please click on the December 2012 link. The first post will have links to all previous months.

I am (still) in process of moving all the 2011 threads over to the
photo gallery
. I need to look up who I’m supposed to e-mail. Plus I have to make the list.

FWIW if we have 50 posts in this thread by 15 August, then I will make an August Part II thread.

Comments (57)

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Sweet Cream Marigold keeps chugging along...

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    10 years ago

I find the seedheads on 'Dark Towers' Penstemon interesting. The lower foliage looks miserable after all the rain we've had, though....

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    10 years ago

Morning Glories volunteered everywhere I wanted them this year, so flowers without effort, gotta love that....

• Tina_n_Sam
    10 years ago

PM2, I bet your gardenia smells heavenly. Will you bring it inside for the winter?

Love the color of your morning glories.

I have 8 feet of foliage only. :-(

My husband keeps asking where are the flowers and if I know for sure they are morning glories. The guy at the nursery said they were.

I planted them either late May or first week of June. All the plants only had a set of leaves. I used garden soil to amend the area where the morning glories are planted and topped it off with sweet peat. Maybe, too much nutrients...

-Tina

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    10 years ago

Tina, yes, the gardenias smell great and I've cut a few and floated them in water in the kitchen and everyone enjoyed that. I am going to give it a try over the winter, BUT... we all know how that goes. Gardenias are, for me at least, one of the hardest to keep over winter. The lack of humidity in the house seems to be the biggest factor, but I'll try to at least keep them alive until spring.

I just checked my photos and at the end of May, the Morning Glories didn't even have true leaves on them yet. I imagine that because they were not transplants, they didn't have to acclimate to the garden and were able to start blooming sooner? I've done transplants before and I seem to remember it was pretty late before I saw flowers. I added an inch of bagged organic compost in the spring and mulched it and that was it. It doesn't sound like you added any nutrients. I'd be expecting flowers and definitely don't give it any fertilizer. No flower buds either? My guess is they are just late. Mine are in 6hrs of sun.

• corunum z6 CT
    10 years ago

Not my 'garden' per se, but an observation about watering this summer. I took this picture this morning of containers on my deck that I planted around the middle of May. In 38 years here, I've never had a summer that I did not have to water containers. This summer, I have not watered anything. I've had to empty pots of excess rain water. These plants have grown almost 3 months straight from rain only. And no brown lawn. Doesn't look like the grass plants are going to go dormant. Everything is still growing. Rather amazing.

Jane

• shadow_cross
    10 years ago

And of course the "weeds" are in blossom. My favorites include Joe Pye and Goldenrod.

• spedigrees z4VT
    10 years ago

I love your "weeds" Shadow_cross. I have a Joe Pye weed/goldenrod border too, in an area that I deliberately don't mow. It's a pretty combination, and your tigerlily looks lovely added to the mix.

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    10 years ago

I'll continue with some viburnum berries. I love viburnums as a whole. Can't wait for the fall colors to kick in.

This is 'Mohawk'.

This one is 'Emerald Triumph'.

This is only the 2nd year with my front veggie garden and this year I planted squash, melon, pumpkin, etc. I definitely overplanted figuring I would have to share with the woodchuck, but he hasn't been around.....yet.

I am loving the blossoms in the garden!

And I even have a pumpkin!!

Since I had a garden tour coming earlier this summer I was a good girl and deadheaded all the salvia. It is still pushing out blooms which makes me think this is a task I should take the time to do every year. The 'Irish Eyes' I start from seed each year and wouldn't be without them. Blooming powerhouse even in the first year. The lobelia is 'My Monet' and I'm really enjoying how it was serendipitous that I planted it near the white stair post so it shows up.

I had this great idea this spring to sow sweet peas along a few trellises I lined up, followed by those cute, little decorative gourds. Well, I didn't remember that sweet peas were summer blooming! So now the sweet peas and the gourds are clamboring all over each other. You can see a gourd flower in the right of the photo.

The rose of sharon is always a favorite of mine. This year they really got battered by all the rain and I'm thinking about really whacking them back this fall. They are probably 12' tall now. Here's one of the flowers.

And last but not least, lookie what I got at the NH Craftsman fair in Sunapee! I don't buy a whole lot of ornaments for the garden because I spend so much on plant material, but I've always wanted blown glass and couldn't resist these! I can't wait to get them in a grouping on stakes to have them "blooming" in the garden.

• pixie_lou
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Claire - your bronze fennel looks lovely. Charles ate mine.

Tina - I also didn't know that rudbeckia came in so may colors. I got a packet of seeds in a swap - I was expecting all the typical yellow with brown centers. So these were a nice surprise. As you can imagine, I will be saving seed this year!

Prariemoon - II just cut the top off the lily, where the spent blossoms are. However, I'm strategically leaving some of the spent blossoms this year. I missed cutting back one of my easter lily plants last year, I came home from vacation and found a gorgeous seed head. And I have tons of easter lily seedlings now. So I'm hoping to save seed from some of my favorite lilies this year.

I also have lots of volunteer morning glory vines, but no blossoms. I saw blossoms one day, and decided I would take photos the next day. And I haven't seen a blossom since. Of course!

Thyme - that is a nice looking pumpkin. And I can't wait to see your new glassware in bloom in the garden.

I still have a few lilies in the garden. Going on weeks now of lilies! Here is the last of Simplon.

And another double day lily. Not sure if this is double ditch or something else.

Hydrangea Paniculata Tardiva is in full bloom. I'm thinking I may try propogating this shrub next spring. It may make a nice border out back.

Lastly - about the only thing thriving in my vegetable garden these days is eggplant. I have a dozen plants, and it looks like i'll easily get 6-8 eggplants per plant!

• timbz6
    10 years ago

Keep the photos coming.....they are all beautiful. I wish summer would never end. A few from today.....

Yucca filamentosa x rostrata hybrid

Poncirus trifoliata fruit 'hardy orange'

Tetrapanax

Fatsia japonica

Yucca arkansana with hardy ginger in the rear

Hardy elephant ear about to bloom

Another type of hardy ginger about to bloom

Figs are growing

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    10 years ago

Jane, I’ve barely had to water too this year. That’s a nice bench on your deck.

shadow cross, I’ve never seen golden rod and joe pye together, I like it.

thyme2dig, I like that ‘Mohawk’ grouping of berries with the two colors. Didn’t you say somewhere that when you had a tour there, there was a lot of interest in one of your Viburnum? Wondering which one it was?

That is going to be a great pumpkin come September. Love the sweet peas, I should try those again one day. I like seeing the white fencing around that garden, it frames everything nicely. And WOW…those blown glass ornaments are very striking! I love them! Are you thinking of using them as finials or such or do they hang?

Pixie Lou, I hadn’t thought of collecting seed from the lilies, interesting idea. That’s some nice giant Eggplant you have there!

Tim, where is Bill? He loves tropical and unusual plants and you’ve got quite a lot there! Never saw anything like that Hardy Orange and I’m envious of your figs!

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    10 years ago

Pixielou, do you have lots of friends to give eggplant to?!?! Holy cow! They're beautiful and it sounds like you have a huge crop! Any good eggplant recipes you can share?

PM2, I don't remember the group being interested in a particular viburnum. I'll have to think about that and try to remember. They were very interested in the larch and the evodia tree. The glass has holes in the bottom and it is meant to be put on stakes in the garden. We just had a fence guy over last week and we are actually replacing the picket fence. It's going to be a different style and the arched arbor is going to be replaced with a pergola style. Since this project is going to be done, I'm going to change up 2 of the borders in that area. They're quite large borders so I have lots of planning to do.

Here are a few shots from today.

Oakleaf hydrangea is one of my favorites from now until its leaves fall.

This is a new shade plant for me. I planted it last year and honestly forgot all about it until I saw it blooming today. It is Anemonopsis macrophylla.
    This is the back of the flower:

This is the front. I love the little purple trim around the cup.

The blue/white hydrangea that is now blue/pink has snuggled up with the pee gee hydrangea.

I have lots of caladium in the garden this year. I had overwintered bulbs and they were SO late in coming out I figured they rotted so I bought a bunch from Lowes and put them in. About 1 week later all of the bulbs I had planted started to come up.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    10 years ago

thyme2dig, the new fence sounds exciting. Nice to have something new to plan. I like the sound of a pergola style. Is it going to be white too?

Very pretty pic of your Oakleaf Hydrangea. I am also loving mine this year. Last year, it was so dry in the garden, (I had the sprinkler going all summer), that the Oakleaf H. had browned out flowers late summer through the fall. I couldn’t even look at it. This year, I also have that pretty pink trim on the blooms. Much better! I can’t help but wonder if your summer temps and humidity are lower than mine are here? You are a bit more north than I am.

I LOVE that sweet Anemonopsis! I’m surprised I haven’t heard of it. It’s so late in the summer to see such a delicate little plant. It looks like it should bloom in the spring. I bet that would look good with ferns this time of year.

Those Caladiums are doing great this year, look at that Red one!. I think they are slow to appear anyway, aren't they? I bought bulbs from B&B and planted them in a container and waited and waited for them. I didn’t overwinter mine, I just don’t have a place that has the right temps. My basement is too warm and my garage is too cold. I grew Miss Muffet last year in a container and I enjoyed it. They have so many nice colors now.

I’m trying to put together an order for bulbs for the fall. Have any favorites I should consider? I’m trying to get more that naturalize. I have Ice Follies and Ceylon, I think I’ve posted before, and they come back great every year, but I want something new and exciting. (g)

• bill_ri_z6b
    10 years ago

Tim, I really like your Tetrapanax. I was wondering what hardy ginger(s) are you growing? I would love to get some of those. Ann (and Tim too), my Gardenia "Frostproof" is blooming again, although maybe 5 or 6 flowers right now. I will see if there are more buds. But maybe a month or so ago it had at least 20 flowers. It has really made a lot of vegetative growth now though, about 6-9 inches on nearly every branch. My figs are green but it's still early. Crape Myrtle "Pink Velour" just opened first blooms today, and it's covered with buds. Came through last winter just fine. My windmill palm has pushed out 5 new leaves and is almost at 6, with 2 more as spears, so I'm glad about that. I hope it will be strong enough to get through next winter, which I'm hoping will be a mild one!

{{gwi:5901}}

• Tina_n_Sam
    10 years ago

shadow cross, I do like the weeds.

T2D, very nice on both the pumpkin and glass ornaments. Congrats on overwintering your calladium. None of mine made it :-(

pixie lou, ooo those eggplants look delicious.

Tim, nice plants. I had to get more info on the hardy orange and ginger.

-Tina

• stack316
    10 years ago

more lilies from the yard.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    10 years ago

Bill, my non hardy gardenia hasn’t set any more buds, so I expect it is probably done for the season. It bloomed quite a bit this summer and was an enjoyable plant. I will try to bring it in the house, but I’m not expecting it to actually make it to spring. We’ll see.

It sounds like your ‘Frostproof’ is in good shape heading into the fall, which is a good sign that it will be able to handle the winter. Fingers crossed for you.

Crape Myrtle ends up being a great late summer shrub then. I hope you are going to post some photos soon, when ‘Pink Velour’ opens it’s blooms. Your garden must be looking great. What is this, it’s first full season since your renovation?

Stack, those look like double lilies, is that right?

• spedigrees z4VT
    10 years ago

Thyme2dig, I am green with envy over your blown glass post decorations. I even googled 'blown glass garden' but no results. I don't imagine you remember the name of the artist who sold them? They should look lovely in your gardens.

Also, looking at your squash blossoms, my neighbor across the road has a planter filled with squash plant(s) on his front lawn, and it is surprising how decorative it looks. Those giant yellow blossoms are very eye-catching.

Your sweet peas are charming.

Stack, your lilies are absolutely exquisite! I see more and more true lilies in yards around our area so I'm guessing the predator wasps are having a good effect on the lily population.

• bill_ri_z6b
    10 years ago

Ann, the boulder garden and upper garden were under construction in early 2011, and the plants and trees were planted out that year in late spring, so they had most of 2011, all of 2012 and now this season. I will try to post some photos later. As you know, the past couple of months weren't great for me, but I'm getting back into things now, and thankfully the garden hasn't suffered. Some things seemed to have thrived on neglect!

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    10 years ago

Bill, so glad to see you posting, I was wondering about you. :-) Has it really been that long since you redid your garden? I can't believe how fast the time goes by. If your garden thrived on neglect, I think that is because you designed it that way. Looking forward to photos.

• bill_ri_z6b
    10 years ago

Thank you Ann!

Well here are some photos. Some taken within the past two weeks and some today.

Canna

Coleus and Calibrachoa

Boulder garden whimsy

Volunteer plants in granite steps

View from upper garden to lower back yard

Crape myrtle "Pink Velour"

View along east side

White Hibiscus

Hibiscus "Lord Baltimore"

Portulacas

Hesperaloe parvifolia ("Red Yucca") Not a yucca at all, but has become a favorite. In bloom so far for six weeks and still a lot more to go. And, a hummingbird magnet too!

East patio planters

Day lily (I don't know the name)

Hydrangea (I don't know the name. It's been here forever.)

Crocosmia "Lucifer"

Agapanthus

Gardenia "Frostproof"

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    10 years ago

Bill, I love rocks and walls, and you’ve done such a nice job of using them. And I have a very level flat property with no change in elevation, which can sometimes be a little boring, so I also enjoy that about your garden, never mind the great drainage you must have too. That Hesperaloe in bloom is so graceful and tall and I didn’t know it attracts hummingbirds. Do you get Hummers? It almost looks like there is one sitting on a branch in that photo. That ‘Pink Velour’ is such a pretty shrub. Another one that you are tempting me to give a try to. What is it that has volunteered in your steps? I like when that happens too. You have a lot of plants that bloom this time of year, which is nice. Thanks for the tour! Are you planning any new additions in the fall?

This post was edited by prairiemoon2 on Tue, Aug 13, 13 at 7:54

• franeli
    10 years ago

What a wonderful variety of garden blooms!
    I have Casa Blanca lilies blooming now.

• bill_ri_z6b
    10 years ago

Ann, one of the volunteers is Scuttelaria, or "skullcap". Another is a creeping thyme, and there's a small hay-scented fern. I haven't decided on any new plants yet, because I have some things I want to move. I have a large volunteer Albizzia julibrissn ("Mimosa") that shot up from a single stalk of 4 feet last year to a multi-branched 8 footer with an 8 foot spread this year! It's in the wrong place and so I need to find a good spot for it. I also need to move a trunk forming yucca (Y. recurvifolia) so I think I may not get anything new until spring.

I do get some hummingbirds. They love the Hesperaloe (by the way that's a seed pod that you see) and the also like the Clerodendron trichotomum.

You could always add some berms and/or mounds to your garden/yard to add interest. A great project is to dig out a basin for a pond, using the soil to build an adjacent mound. That gives you a high spot for a waterfall, and the mound can be planted. For a natural look (and since you like rocks) you could easily make the mound non-symmetrical, and the pond shape too. Give them both natural curving shapes. The mound could also have more than one high spot, one lower than the other etc. Variation is the key. You can add rocks to look like natural outcroppings, then plant both the mound and the pond area any way you want. The possibilities are endless.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    10 years ago

That's a nice healthy looking Casa Blanca. I have some but they are now in too much shade and need to be moved. Very pretty and very fragrant I think.

Bill, I will get some volunteers in my old concrete steps, but more like weeds. (g) I did find a Japanese Painted Fern growing in one last year and it even came back this year. Funny.

I like your idea about a natural pond with a mound for planting, which would be great for rocks too. The waterfall sounds exciting. We don't want to give up our small lawn yet, or the vegetable garden. I did use raised beds in the vegetable garden and one long bed down the north side of the back that is raised and edged with small rocks. That's as ambitious as we've gotten.

I haven't planned on adding anything this fall either, except a couple more Mums and some more bulbs. I can't believe we're half way through August already.

• claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
    10 years ago

So much good stuff to comment on - I'll just name a few:

PM2: Sweet Cream marigold is a beauty and your pic shows it very well.

shadow_cross: I look forward to the "weeds" every fall; that's a lovely combination of Joe Pye and goldenrod. Neither of them are in bloom here yet, but the white wood aster buds are just beginning to open.

thyme2dig: Love those viburnum berries and the glass ornaments. I'm waiting for three little viburnums to grow up and I hope they look like yours.

I forgot to mention earlier that your pink and blue hydrangea is lovely.

pixie_lou: Those eggplants look like blown glass ornaments too, a shame to eat them. I wish you could blow out the contents and save them like you do Easter eggs.

Timma6: Trifoliate orange! The quintessential impenetrable hedge plant. Are the thorns really as bad as they say? People used to talk about using it as a protective hedge but the liability might be too high. Think of impaled burglars suing the homeowner...

stack316: Those lilies with the multiple petals are astonishing!

Bill: Your new garden is coming along beautifully - you have a good eye. All that stonework is such a great foundation for the plantings - you're right to take the time to do it well and find just the right plants for each location. That Hespereloe is a wonderful plant and complements the lavender (I think it's lavender) behind it.

Lovely combination, franeli! Is that ageratum with the lilies?

Mostly a continuation of July flowers here.

The two really tall phlox in the Phlox Protection Zone have begun to bloom, while many of the medium-tall phlox are still blooming. They don't show in this picture but the meadow phlox underneath are on their second flush.

The Phlox 'David' that miraculously escaped the woodchuck out in the yard is blooming in the cage I put around it when I saw the flowerbuds.

This is the improvised cage, AKA what I found under the deck that looked like a fence. Some of it might be a part of an old lobster pot.

The Frans Hals daylily has hit its stride. This is from today.

Sedum 'Autumn Joy' is getting pinker. I haven't seen any bees on them yet, but it's early.

The big rugosa rose 'Yankee Lady' has both flowers and hips. I couldn't reach that part of the rose to deadhead and I was lazy this year anyway. It's hard to get enthusiastic about deadheading thorny plants in a heat wave followed by torrential rains.

One of my house sansevierias, the tall one, is blooming and there are buds on the white wood aster that insinuated itself between the sansevierias. There's a hosta 'Royal Standard behind them that has buds. I'm hoping the three will bloom at the same time but that's a crap shoot.

In the category of little unassuming plants are the Ceratostigma plumbaginoides with true blue flowers:

And a Calamintha grandiflora seedling that appeared in the gravel path:

Claire

• bill_ri_z6b
    10 years ago

Claire, yes it is lavender. Past prime now, but usually blooms again, and lots of seedlings. I really like your day lily "Frans Hals"!

• timbz6
    10 years ago

If anyone wants some of the hardy ginger just swing by when your in the Providence area.

Bill,

I was wondering what hardy ginger(s) are you growing? I would love to get some of those................the most aggressive grower is Zingiber mioga........the variegated ginger is a Zingiber too. The orange bloomer is not as aggressive but has beautiful blooms..........I forget the name but can find it. There are extras of the Zingibers if you want some.

Ann (and Tim too), my Gardenia "Frostproof" is blooming again, although maybe 5 or 6 flowers right now. I will see if there are more buds. But maybe a month or so ago it had at least 20 flowers. It has really made a lot of vegetative growth now though, about 6-9 inches on nearly every branch................I would really like to see that Gardenia.....I need to stop working so much and get over to your garden.

Crape Myrtle "Pink Velour" just opened first blooms today, and it's covered with buds. Came through last winter just fine..............I really like the dark green leaves on your Crape.

My windmill palm has pushed out 5 new leaves and is almost at 6, with 2 more as spears, so I'm glad about that. I hope it will be strong enough to get through next winter, which I'm hoping will be a mild one! ..............I'm glad to hear your Trachy survived and is growing again.

Tim

• timbz6
    10 years ago

Hi Claire,

nice photos.....I really like that purple Phlox.

10 years ago

Thanks, Tim. I'm not sure if that phlox is Phlox paniculata 'Franz Schubert' or P. p. 'David's Lavender'. Everything got scrambled after the woodchuck(s) reduced all of my garden phlox to bare stems and I moved a wheelbarrow full of bare stems across the yard to a safe haven.

Claire.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    10 years ago

Thanks, Claire, I have enjoyed the 'Sweet Cream' this year. I’ve had other ‘white’ marigolds that were not as vigorous. It doesn’t have that marigold odor to it, though, so I’m not sure if it would be effective in any pest repellant sort of way in the vegetable garden.

You have so much pink on your sedum already! I will have to check mine tomorrow, I didn’t notice mine pinking up yet.

I love that rugosa, the flowers and hips are so pretty even with the ‘dead heads’ still there. Is it fragrant, and does it bloom for long?

10 years ago

PM2: This is the only one of my sedums to show pink already. I'm not sure why - it's in about the same amount of sun as some of the others - just in a hurry to flower maybe.

This rugosa is one of the first to bloom and will bloom all season if deadheaded so it doesn't go to hips. I found a photo of a Yankee Lady bloom dated November 9, 2011 although this is unusual, only the 'Blushing Knockouts' reliably bloom that long. It is fragrant.

I'm not sure if they're suckers or seedlings, but I've found several roses around the original that bloom the same as the parent.

It's also called 'Pierette' or 'Pierette Pavement'.

Claire

10 years ago

dupicate deleted.

Claire

This post was edited by claire on Wed, Aug 14, 13 at 10:04

• Persimmons
    10 years ago

Planted these sunflower seeds very late and the blooms appear to be close to opening.

• Persimmons
    10 years ago

Surprised that the cucumbers haven't given up yet.

• Persimmons
    10 years ago

Volunteer nasturtiums trying to take over the lawn.

• Persimmons
    10 years ago

The potatoes in flower

• Persimmons
    10 years ago

And finally a shot of the front of my garden. Little did I know the tomato plants I purchased would grow to be the seven-foot-tall monsters they are right now. They sort of obstruct the view of the potatoes, cukes, squashes, and woody herbs growing behind them.

In the foreground are a bonda ma jacques pepper and a few pumpkins, all of which I planted end of June and am totally suprised to see the amount of growth they're exhibiting. I might get a few miniature pumpkins this year. Me spacing out in June may have been a blessing because the cucumber beetles that typically attack my garden in July haven't caught on to the pumpkins in the front yard (yet).

• spedigrees z4VT
    10 years ago

I love your stonework, Bill, especially the way that the stone steps are surrounded by the natural looking boulders. Portulacas have always been one of my favorites, but my soil is too rich for them. Next year I intend to plant some in containers with a mix of sand and potting soil. They look so at home in your rocky landscape.

I think your mystery daylily is cherry cheeks. It is also a favorite of mine.

Persimmons, your vegetables appear to be thriving. Those tomato plants certainly have grown to gigantic proportion!

Prairiemoon, I hope that your marigolds escape the garden pests. I used to believe that marigolds repelled insects, and I planted a border of them around my vegetable garden of long ago. Now, after two summers of watching the Japanese beetles chow down on my marigolds, I dismiss this as an old wives tale!

• bill_ri_z6b
    10 years ago

Spedigrees, thanks for the positive comments. I will take a look at the "Cherry Cheeks" online and see how well they match mine.

This is a first time for so many portulacas for me, and it seems they like it where they are.

When I designed the boulder garden, the stairs, the wall etc. I was trying to achieve a natural look which would join the back yard with the upper garden area. It's getting there and as I add more plants and as the existing ones mature and spread, I think it will be what I want.

• Tina_n_Sam
    10 years ago

Gosh, I'm with Claire...where do I start with the compliments...

Bill, your yard and the stone work look wonderful. O, your beautiful gardenia....

spedigrees, I found out this year that the portulacas like my not so rich soil. It's great cause I can't seem to get anything else to grow in that area.

franeli, the purple and white really "pop".

Claire, your phloxes are always gorgeous. I swear...you must have every variety available.

Tim, is your hardy ginger fragrant? My aunt makes leis. I loved it when she made the white ginger leis. Oh, the wonderful smell! I think I was or am insane for leaving Oahu. In fact, I was browsing the internet looking to buy the white ginger. I'll try again when I have time.

Persimmons, nice front yard garden! And, the cucumber is cute. I tried to stagger the blooms of my sunflowers. I have a couple that are behind yours. Now, I wonder if there's enough time for them to bloom...

-Tina

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    10 years ago

Persimmons, that line of nasturtiums in the lawn is so cute. I love the color. And that looks like a nice long cucumber, what variety is it? Did you have trouble with the Squash bugs this year? I had some vegetables in my front yard last year and this year. I like the way yours are away from the street and so close to your door. What is growing in that A Frame? It looks like it is still going strong.

Spedigrees, I had a few oriental beetles on the marigolds, which they did seem to be attracted to, but I don't really get a lot and I was able to keep up with them, by hand picking. I know it's not fair, but I rarely see a Japanese beetle. I guess that's one of the few advantages of living in a 'city' environment.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    10 years ago

Lovely gardens, all, and such a variety of plants and flowers amongst the various gardens!

Spedigrees, T2D's glass garden ornaments came from Hardwick, Vermont artists, Wendy and Harry Bissett. He does glass blowing demos every August at the League of NH Craftsmen fair in Sunapee, NH, as well as selling their stuff there. Here's their website as I don't know how close they are to you or what their policy on studio visitors is.

Here is a link that might be useful: VT glass

• molie
    10 years ago

I'm a very jealous mole seeing all your glorious gardens. My gardens took a double whammy hit this August. First, the heat/dry conditions which affected so many things and then --- on a very positive note --- my daughter, who lives in France with her family, has been here for a month. It's great to spend time with grandchildren --- the gardens played second fiddle to my family for sure this year!

So --- no photos from me but many compliments and plants that are going on my 2014 Wish List. Where to start ?

T2D, I love that darling Anemonopsis macrophylla with her shy blossoms. I have the later fall Japanese Anemones, which spread like mad. Does this self seed?

Bill, I, too, really admire your stonework and the garden areas you've created. I see your Portulacas are running flush like mine, which self-seeded from last year and are all over the gardens. I love the Crocosmia (had one years ago) and that Hesperaloe parvifolia, two plants that I'll have to search out for next year. They both make beautiful statements. Is that Lithodura beneath it? I was inspired to put some in after seeing yours. One clump died but the other has spread over several feet.

Claire, my sedums are still green, but my Phlox 'David' is still standing tall. I'll have to cut back many of my others because of heat stress. I also admire your Frans Hals --- looks as if it's not been bothered by the heat.

Franeli, I love the combo of Casa Blanca lilies with --- is that Verbena bonariensis in front? And stack316 --- yours are those interesting doubles I've seen online and in catalogues. Sadly, my lilies are done for the year.

Persimmons --- your "volunteer" nasturtiums are adorable --- cherry brightness! Maybe I'll plant a patch of those around the telephone pole in front of our driveway next season.

Everyone's gardens are so inspirational. Keep posting, please!

• spedigrees z4VT
    10 years ago

NH_ Babs thank you so much for the link to the glass artist In Hardwick! I intend to make a trip to their studio next spring to acquire a couple of the garden stake toppers similar to those that you purchased at the fair in NH. Hardwick is a fair distance from my home, about 3 hrs, but it will make a nice outing. Thank you again for providing me with their contact info. It's much appreciated!

• bill_ri_z6b
    10 years ago

I posted on the August part II............are we continuing both?

• spedigrees z4VT
    10 years ago

No, Bill. The only new comments here relate to text/photos already posted on this thread before the August Part 2 thread was established. New comments not relating to posts on this thread would go on the part 2 thread.

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    10 years ago

Nhbabs, thanks for getting the glass info to spedigrees. I've been away at training and couldn't remember off the top of my head who it was.

Spedigrees, I think they have some sort of open house later this year. I think I'm going to drive over to get more. I want to get a handful in their hot colors. I liked them a lot and they didn't break the bank compared to other blown glass. The price at the fair was lower than their website so I would think if you bought a number of them they would possibly give a discount.

Bill, your garden is so amazing. I love the ways everything has really filled in with all that beautiful rock work. Are you ever on Open Days tours? Really outstanding plantings and plant material. I tried hesperaloe from seed and it grew into a teeny plant (4 of them), I overwintered them in my veggie garden and all four survived but then gradually died off. Possibly too rich soil? Yours is spectacular. Did you purchase locally or thru mail order?
    Glad to hear you have clerodendrum blooming. For kicks, I took back a seedling from my moms garden in NC. It actually leafed out on old wood this year so maybe after a few more years of global warming I'll get some blooms!
    I did plant a fall blooming camellia which is quite small, and I'm going to try the gardenia too!
    I love, love, love your garden. Thanks for sharing so many photos.

• bill_ri_z6b
    10 years ago

T2D,
    Thanks for the nice comments! I bought the Hesperaloe locally at The Farmer's Daughter in 2010. I have about 4 seedlings that are getting established. I also will have tons of seeds again this year, which I could send you if you'd like. I think what helps my xeric garden out front is not only that it's full sun all day, but that I've slightly mounded it at the center, so no water collects anywhere, but drains off all sides. Also, mulching with the stone is a great benefit. Keeps the plants high and dry, and also retains some warmth. Most cacti and succulent plants die from being soggy in winter, not as much from actual cold temperatures.

Which Camellia did you plant? It will be interesting to see how they do in your zone 5.