Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
idabean2

Do you forget awful weather?

Marie Tulin
13 years ago

I started a new post to continue a discussion that began as an offshoot of another one. These are the three posts on the off now on discussion. It was too good to drop!

Marie

Why do I forget, over the winter, how much I hate hot weather?

Could have something to do with the sound of chains and steel clanking and scraping against the icy asphalt that break the peaceful wonderland as it careens past your freshly cleared driveway. Just "thinking out loud".

* Posted by kathyannd Zone 6a MA (My Page) on

Mon, Aug 9, 10 at 22:42

Or that feeling -- like you've been sucker punched -- when your feet go flying out from under you as you gingerly try to get down three stairs and take three steps to your car, only to land flat on your butt in a puddle of slush.....

o

clip this post email this post what is this?

see most clipped and recent clippings

* Posted by deanna_in_nh 5a/4b (My Page) on

Tue, Aug 10, 10 at 18:07

It will be years before I forget how much I hate hot weather. I mean YEARS!! All winter long I love it, and all sumer long...except for THIS SUMMER...I tell my relatives in Alabama how wonderfully cool and dry it is here. I rub it in...a LOT.

Comments (9)

• spedigrees z4VT
    13 years ago

I love hot summer weather and am always sad to see it end. I remember it fondly all year long. Humidity I do not like, but if it comes as part of a package deal, I'll put up with it.

I never forget how much I hate months of cold winter weather, treacherous driving, icy footing, colorless landscape that is only pretty after a new snowfall, etc. I put up Christmas lights early and leave them up until after St Pat's day just to brighten up the dark colorlessness. I like autumn, but I'm always filled with a sense of dread at the thought of impending winter. Winter would be enjoyable if it lasted a single month. Even now I'm dreading it...shiver! The older I get, the more I hate the cold.

I love New England but if the winters here were shorter I wouldn't complain.

• dfaustclancy
    13 years ago

Sheeez. I was just talking about this subject this morning with my husband! I said, "if it didn't get dark so early and stay dark so late in the morning, I don't think I'd mind the winter as much as I do." I really hate the DARKNESS. I love to read, and to cook and to do interior decorating and to go to museums, all stuff that I consider "cold weather" activities -- except for reading... do that all year long. The dang darkness gets to me though.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    13 years ago

I agree! I don't think I would mind winter half as much if it were lighter earlier in the morning and especially later in the evening. Thankfully, my days of 4AM hockey practice and 9PM games (an hour's drive away!) are over (last kid going off to college) so at least I won't be out there that early and/or late.

Although.... now that I think about it, I might not mind the dark so much if it were warmer, lol.... Okay, so it either has to be cold and light, or warm and dark. I'd be happpy with either. Unfortunately, I don't think I'll get either...

:)
    Dee

• crnaskater
    13 years ago

The limited hours of sunlight is depressing for sure. I laugh everytime I read about people pouring over seed/plant catalogues during the winter to plan for spring. Somehow, I just never remember what needs filling in.....and my enthusiasm is not there. But I also note that at least in New England, our sunny days are clear and bright! Know people in mid-atlantic area who complain of dreary/overcast, although warmer, winter days...not the crystal brightness we experience.

• mehearty
    13 years ago

I love summer, but this year has been too overly hot and too overly muggy for too long. Everything in my house feels sticky, and being in the garden is just too miserable. I've been ordering warm sweatshirts and jeans, because this year I'm going to really appreciate the cold weather.

• Penelope
    13 years ago

I agree, the dark is as bad or worse than cold. I'm seriously thinking of moving to a warmer climate at retirement, but realize that winters will still have short days. Like so many New Englanders, the older I get the more I just can't stand the LONG winters. I don't think we'll have the financial means to be snowbirds and have a winter home elsewhere, but that would sure be the ideal. I hate hot and sticky weather as much as the next person, but putting central AC in our house some years ago was a WONDERFUL decision, it makes a huge difference.

I do think, though, that the long winters help us not take our good weather for granted. I'm ashamed to admit I've been doing just that lately, opting to eat dinner in front of TV rather than sitting on the deck, even when it's gorgeous out. Shame on me!

• spedigrees z4VT
    13 years ago

Agreed, lovesummer, that central air conditioning is a wonderful way to rid the indoor environment of humidity and bugs. I can't imagine living without it.

I wouldn't want the responsibility and expense of a second home, but renting a place in a warm climate for Jan and/or Feb each winter would be heaven. Someplace near the equator would have longer daylight hours.

Your screen name says it all!

• deanna in ME Barely zone 6a, more like 5b
    13 years ago

OK, I just have to say this, just in case anybody reads this thread anymore. I know I'm the only one who LOVES winter, and that's why everybody is moving south. Just had to say that my mom lives in the tropics, but higher on a mountain so she has the temperate tropical weather without any humidity. It's about 70-80 ish all year at her place. Really lovely. There is no winter and summer, but winter is her rainy season and summer is her dry season. In the rainy season it rains about once a day, no big deal, no muddy stuff like we have here. We are planning a very extended trip to see her. My plans made sure we didn't miss any of the New England excitement, including winter. We'll leave after leaf season and come back before ski season. Should be a good 6 week visit, and we'll be back just in time for winter. YEA!!!

I know it sounds crazy, but I don't think I'll ever visit her in January or February. Just too much fun to miss up here. Bring on the snow!

Our next trip to her will probably be a spring trip. I'll be glad to miss mud season!

If you'd like, I'll take note of plants. Orchids are a big thing there, and many of our house plants grow in the wild on the banks of her stream.

• spedigrees z4VT
    13 years ago

Ah Deanna, you must be young! We too loved winter when we were in our 20s and 30s (cross country skiing on miles of snowmobile trails used to be a regular activity,) but we came to hate it in our 50s and 60s.

Funny how no one, young or old, loves mud season!

Enjoy the visit at your mom's. It sounds like paradise there.