Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardengranny2_gw

Garden woes

gardengranny2
13 years ago

Hello to all New Englander's! It has been a couple of months since I mistakenly posted a slew of garden shots here instead of in the Cottage Garden forum.

I had fully planned to post more photos as requested (much to my surprise)throughout the summer. However, within less than a week following my grave error, a seemingly neverending heat wave struck my central CT community with a vengeance. We had one day in early July (maybe the 7th??)when the daytime temp indicated by the local tv weathermen hit 102 degrees. My property is in full sun for the most part and we always run 10 degrees higher than tv reported temps. Hence, the large thermometer on my deck indicated 112.

With little to no rain this season, my beds (not to mention my lawn) could have used several good soakings with the sprinkler. Alas, it was too d__n hot to even consider going out there. In the very early morning I would water my pot ghetto beside my deck and the numerous pots I have on the rails of the deck in which I grow my strawberies. For this, I have 2 rain barrels that I had just purchased before the heat wave arrived. Fortunately, the strawberries flourished and continue to do so (been picking since 5/22 non-stop).

My beds and my lawn have suffered like I have not experienced since I started gardening.

To say that my gardens were fried is an understatement. I know I have lost a few things--but, they are common and can easily be replaced with divisions from others located in different areas. The lawn is about to be overhauled starting this weekend (as temps will allow--Saturday should be in the 70's but Sunday brings the return of 90's and will continue well thru the week. DH took vacation time to dethatch and heavily rake (especially the dead areas) followed by reseeding. Not the kind of work for 90's.

As a result, I have had no lovelies to share. All I want to do right now is start putting things to bed for the season and hope for a return to more normal weather conditions next year. That's what gardeners do.

Thanks for listening.

Liz

Comments (3)