Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Impatiens disease in New England

Posted by ginny12 z5 MA (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 5, 11 at 22:54

I was on the Cape this week and the Cape Cod Times had a front-page article about a fungus that is killing large areas of impatiens on the Cape. I have grown impatiens for decades and never had a single problem with it. I have a lot of shade so this would be a real problem.

Has anyone heard of this? Is it anywhere other than the Cape?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Impatiens disease in New England

• Posted by claire z6b Coastal MA (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 6, 11 at 10:53

I hadn't heard anything so I looked for the article on the Cape Cod online site.

Impatiens running out on Cape Cod

They say it's downy mildew caused by the unusual rainy and wet weather this spring. Downy mildew is different from the more common powdery mildew.

"Unfortunately for gardeners glum over their dwindling impatiens, there isn't much that can be done once the plants have contracted crown and root rot, Cape garden experts agree. But there are measures that can be taken to keep still-healthy plants spry until fall, such as introducing organic fungicides or healthy bacteria to fight the devastating mildew."

Claire

o
RE: Impatiens disease in New England

• Posted by claire z6b Coastal MA (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 6, 11 at 13:50

The latest UMass Landscape Message says:

" Pests/Problems: Crown and Root Rot of Impatiens have been confirmed by the UMass Extension Plant Diagnostic Lab in Amherst. Three different pathogens have been isolated in samples sent to the lab. The primary disease is Downy Mildew of Impatiens, but Rhizoctonia and Pythium have also been found. Sanitation is important and a thorough removal of all infected plant parts is recommended. Fungicides are registered for these pathogens but it is really too late for effective management. High moisture levels play an important part in infection so managing irrigation to minimize constant wetness is recommended. Do not replant affected areas with Impatiens for this and next year. Go to 329-impatiens-downy-mildew for more information on Downy Mildew of Impatiens. "

Claire

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here