Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grass seed suggestions

Posted by dwyerkg 6 massachusetts (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 30, 10 at 9:04

Anyone have any good full sun grass seed for a small front lawn that just got some topsoil? All answers are appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grass seed suggestions

I just buy the basic Scotts Sun and Shade mix, and using seeding fertilizer. But you could choose a Sun mix. They also sell grass seed/fertilizer combos - which might be worthwhile depending on the square footage you need to plant.

I tend to go to a smaller hardware store (Aubuchon's) and ask for advice. They seem to be more knowledgeable than the people I see at Home Dept or Lowes.

o
RE: Grass seed suggestions

read the fine print well and make sure the % of weed seed is the lowest of what they sell (which is usually the most expensive).

Scotts sells various grades of seed mix so you have to read each label to see what you get. I think I get one called Scotts Premium, but they are always changing the names around so hard to say exactly which.

Around here, seed mixes of rye and creeping fescue are typical. Bluegrass is good for full sun, but does need more water and fertilizer. In a sunny mix, you will probably see a higher percentage of Bluegrass.

For small patching areas, I like to mix my seed with some of those paper mulch pellets that have fertilizer in them already. For a large area, that may not be practical. Lowe's sells bags of it. the name starts with "Greenview".

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here