Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Moving a poppy?

Posted by pixie_lou 5 (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 12, 13 at 10:04

Is this the right time of year to transplant a poppy? I've never had success moving them before so any hints would be appreciated. Right now it's in one of my front beds. But the peonies in front have grown and the poppy doesn't get enough sun. I thought I lost the plant this year - it appeared to die off in June - but I'm seeing new growth on it now.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Moving a poppy?

I have moved oriental poppies in August and September in the past, since they are mostly dormant now. Never had a problem. If it's some other type, then I have no experience, but I'm sure someone here will help.

Photobucket

o

The Victory Garden book I have recommends moving when they are dormant like Bill said. The year I was 16, my grandfather and I took a trip to visit relatives. I had gotten my license in July so it was probably August. My mother had not been able to grow poppies and the relative had a poppy she didn't want. I brought it home in a coffee can and it flourished. I have a friend who wants a poppy I have and I need to remember to dig it up for her before it gets much later.

o

Maybe the problem is that I've tried to move them in the spring. I'll try moving it this weekend. The worst that can happen is it will not survive. But it's not going to flower again in its current location so I might as well try.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here