Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
diggerdee

Garden programs, Fairfield/New Haven Cty, CT

I posted this info in my original thread asking for help with library gardening programs, but that thread seems dead now, so I wanted to list the information again, in case anyone is interested.

The Plumb Memorial Library in Shelton, CT is presenting a year-long series of gardening talks. The first two talks are listed below:

A Christmas Eve Salad; Extending the season with cold frames

Wednesday, September 16, 2009 @ 7:00PM

Master Gardener Matt Wage discusses extending your gardening season into fall through the use of cold frames. He will cover the types and uses of cold frames and low tunnels; microclimates and siting your cold frame; and cold-hardy vegetables.

Color in the Gray Days of Winter; Forcing bulbs for winter bloom

Wednesday, October 7, 2009 @ 7:00PM

Kate Jamison of Gilbertie's Herbs in Easton visits the Plumb Memorial Library to lead a talk on forcing bulbs for winter bloom. Learn what bulbs are suitable, how to pot them up, and how to give them a cold treatment for early, indoor bloom. Hands-on workshop.

If you would like to attend either of these talks, please call the Plumb Library (203-924-1580) to register. You can visit our website, (www.plumblibrary.org) but it is undergoing changes at the moment and is unfortunately not very helpful. Hopefully it will be fully functional within a week or so, but registration needs to be done by phone or in person anyway. All programs are free and open to the public.

Keep an eye out - there are some other great programs in the works. Local foods, gardening with natives, gardening to attract birds & bees, etc., sensible garden design, tropicals, winter-sowing, selecting shrubs and trees - these and other topics of interest are being planned for future programs.

Comments (2)