Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
German Statice - information request

Posted by SCPearson 5 NE CT (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 6, 12 at 11:23

Does anyone grow German Statice? I'd love to hear from someone with first hand experience. I would like to plant some, but don't know much about it, or even if its New England hardy. It seems a hardy plant. I buy it to make wreaths, but recently thought I should try to grow it myself.
Would love to hear from anyone with experience with this plant. I did a search and didn't come up with much.
Thank you in advance.
Susan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: German Statice - information request

I don't grow statice, but I know that sea lavender is a perennial statice that grows wild on the tidal flats on the NH and MA seacoast so should be hardy for you.

I found a link that says German statice is hardy to zone 4, so that also should be hardy. I don't know anything about this seed company, but garden watchdog might have some information.

Here is a link that might be useful: Limonium

o
RE: German Statice - information request

I grew german statice,Limonium tataricum, in my nursery years ago. I wish I knew you then-nobody bought it although its really beautiful! It overwintered in pots in zone 6b above the ground. I think it should be used more in planters etc... It looks great throughout the season and is light and textural at the same time. In the ground, I had no problems in full sun to part shade. I would think it would not like wet soil but recently, I saw sea statice,Limonium latifolium,growing in a wet sand bog-albeit in sand at the edge-but still! Both Limoniums are incredibly drought tolerant.There are several other species,some crosses and named varieties that look interesting as well.You might want to look into some of the others for dried arrangements too. I was able to divide the German statice repeatedly. I think some lived in two gallon containers for around 8 years before they finally had it. Limonium sinuatum is sometimes found in annual packs in spring. I never had much luck getting it to flower in the ground but Im curious to see if it will do well in pots. Its perennial in mild climates and could join my family of "haulers" -or pots of "annuals"(tender perennials) that I haul into the basement every winter. Now that you have reminded me-I think Im going to search german statice out again-it would look great with the sedums that I have had living in some large planters for years-I think they could duke it out without a problem-and without any watering too!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here