Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hibiscus from Idabean's Swap

Posted by terrene 5b MA (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 10, 13 at 12:03

A couple years ago Idabean had a spring swap and Thyme2dig gave me a Hibiscus seedling. IIRC Thyme said it was a seedling from a mother plant that was Hibiscus syriacus with white flowers and a pink eye. Well, this year, it finally bloomed - I was anticipating a lovely pink or white and lo and behold - it's red! Striking, but doesn't fit the color scheme in the Front garden so I think it's going to be moved to the Xeric garden.

Is this actually Hibiscus syriacus i.e. Rose of Sharon? The leaves are not typical of Hibiscus moscheutos. Is H. syriacus drought tolerant? Here's a pic of the flower -

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hibiscus from Idabean's Swap

It looks a lot like my "Lord Baltimore", in flower color as well as flower form and leaf shape. Of course being a seedling there could be considerable variation from the parent. Definitely not a 'Rose of Sharon' though. Leaf is all wrong for that.

Photobucket

o

Terrene, that is crazy! I must have mixed up the seeds! I'm sorry it's not what you were expecting, but glad you can use it elsewhere.

This is the one I would have expected it to be.

I'm not starting them from seed anymore, but if I get any seedlings I can pot one up for you. This ROS is about 12' in height and the flowers change from fully double to single as they age on the shrub. This pic is an in-between flower.

This shrub is planted on a terrace below the split-rail fence and adds to the garden from below from the driveway and above from the backyard.

o

Wow that is a gorgeous specimen Thyme, and that is what I had envisioned. Any time we meet up at another swap I would be happy to get a seedling.

But don't apologize, the red is also beautiful and it does look a lot like the Lord Baltimore that Bill mentioned. And it's fun to get a big surprise from seedlings. I'm sure it is your seedling too, since the only other Hibiscus I have is a seedling I started from some H. moscheutos seeds and it's planted in the back garden.

The front garden is mostly pinks, purples, and whites - no red at all. I'm just trying to figure out what this is and where to move it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here