Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pink Dogwood..how big do tehy really get?

Posted by nadine33 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 17, 07 at 12:29

I want to buy a tree to frame the side of our house and am leaning towards the pink dogwood. Thing is, everywhere I read has a difefrent height it grows to. I don't want it huge. I figured 15-20 ft at most. DOes the pink dogwood sound like a good chice? I had originally been thinking of a magnolia tree, but dogwoods are available at our local home improvement store....
ALSo, I'd love to see pics of your dogwood or other smaller trees by your houses...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pink Dogwood..how big do tehy really get?

• Posted by mayalena 6 - MetroWest Boston (My Page) on
    Tue, Sep 18, 07 at 6:08

Hi Nadine.
I think 20' is a good estimate, tho it really depends on conditions it is in. If they are optimal, with regular water and plenty of sun, it might get bigger. One important thing to note: these trees virtually ALL develop anthracnose over time -- a disease that can ultimately kill the tree, I believe. Also, they cannot tolerate pollution, salt or drought. Other than that, they are great, gorgeous, 3-season trees. If you are worried about anthracnose, you could try Cornus kousa instead -- another dogwood -- with a later bloom time and later fall color, and pretty much disease-free. I've killed 3 magnolias at my house, so I can't give advice about them. You might also look into Stewartia koreana, which is another gorgeous small 3-season tree.
Good luck.
ML

o
RE: Pink Dogwood..how big do tehy really get?

HI guys, checking the notes and will simply say I like them. Just a note, your size ratio is realistic at 18-24' mostly on the horizontal plain. Remember some good news. Pinks seldom exist on there own, they are grafted on to white root stock. That is where your size ratio changes. New processes are working in growing stem cuttings, but seeds seldom remain genetic. Another good point to remember , trim.... just wait for the blooms to happen and cut back the unwanted length or problems. Do this before the regrowth sets in , that's next years pretties. Good luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here