Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
fall seedlings for sale

Posted by CTveggiegardener none (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 8, 12 at 12:40

Anyone know of anywhere I can get some fall hardy vegetable garden seedlings in CT? Veggies like spinach, kale, brocolli, brussels, beets all grow well into the fall if planted now from seedling/young plant. I was too lazy to grow from seed about 2 months ago but am finding all the nurseries and garden centers around here don't sell seedlings for a fall garden like they do in spring. Anyone have any for personal sale or exchange for the delish things i grow?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: fall seedlings for sale

Ornamental kale and cabbages are edible as well as pretty, so you could grow some of those. I don't know of any of my local greenhouses that sell other fall veggie plants, so I would be surprised if you found them locally, but I tried a web search and found that at least one company sells them if you want to pay their prices. (I don't know anything about this company, just wanted to offer a suggestion if you are desperate.) You could look them up on Garden Watchdog if you decide to go this route.

For this fall it might just be cheaper to visit a local farm stand . . .

Here is a link that might be useful: fall veggie seedlings

o

I saw kale at the local HD ... or maybe it was Agway ... about a week ago.

o

I'm way over here on cape cod, but I just picked up a flat of lettuce seedlings at a small local nursery (Soare's Flower Garden Nursery). They had a few other fall veggies as well, but I don't recall exactly what was in stock.

o

A local farm might have some for sale...? Maybe go to the farm or farm stand as nhbabs said, or perhaps they may be sold at a farmer's market?

Dee

o

thanks..yeah that is my next step...or do some more calling during the week.

o

If you're in western CT, Claire's in Patterson, NY, JUST over the CT/NY line has high quality vegetable starts right now... They are a great resource Spring, Summer , and Fall. Every time I have needed something for the discerning gardener (beyond the local garden center), they have it. :)

o

Agway in Danbury Ct. had some.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here