Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Here comes frost - what to do with my baby Endless Summer?

Posted by tulipsmiles 6 South of Boston (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 21, 10 at 12:57

I propagated 3 Endless summer plants this summer and they are doing well. They are currently in large, 5 gallon pots and are approximately 6 - 8" tall and about the same size wide. It doesn't look like they are woody yet.

My question is, what do I do with them as the colder weather approaches.

Do I keep them in my garage all winter?

Should I make a protection with wire and leaves around them and just keep them outside?

I really don't want to have to plant them in the ground just yet, as I'm not sure where I'll ultimately put them.

Any and all info is much appreciated!

Tulipsmiles

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Here comes frost - what to do with my baby Endless Summer?

I overwintered an Endless Summer last winter in my unheated garage. I was just experimenting to see if it might bloom better (it didn't). It overwintered fine. I actually forgot about it in the spring and I brought it out a little later than I would have liked. But it leafed out just fine.

Sounds like a pretty big pot for a 6-8" plant. Make sure you do not get root rot with too much wet soil.

ALl my garage overwintered pots get packed in styrofoam peanuts to insulate the root ball somewhat.

o

As long as they are already in pots leave them in the garage. The flip side to not keeping them too wet - remember to water them lightly a few times over the winter.

o

I use holiday milestones to try to remember to water them. If they are watered well going in (around November), I check them on New Years Day and St. Patricks Day. On St. Patricks day I will move them out of the depths of the garage close to the door so I can start acclimating them back to the real world. I will keep the garage door open when I am home.

btw, I have a window in my garage that my plants are within sight of. I am not sure if that is required for garage overwintering success.

o

• Posted by sue36 Z5 Maine (My Page) on
    Wed, Sep 29, 10 at 15:23

I have successfully overwintered them in my slightly heated garage (heated to 45).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here