Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Who or What is Eating my Mums???

Posted by ellen_930 Central MA (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 19, 10 at 15:47

I have not had much trouble with garden pests all summer but now that I have planted my MUMS I notice that they are being eaten by something. I do have a lot of mole tunnels in my yard. Could it be them? Interesting fact: The snackers only like the RED and RUST colored flowers. They have no interest in the YELLOW! Anyone know?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Who or What is Eating my Mums???

My guess is slugs. They are capable of going right for the flowers and exhibiting a preference for specific colors. Go out there now with a flashlight.

o

I have seen slugs around the yard. How do you keep them away? Its driving me crazy!

o

For immediate results - go out in the early morning or evening with a flashlight and see if there are slugs on your plants. If there are, drown them in a container of water to which you have added a drop or two of dish soap (this keeps them from crawling out. There are many ways of getting rid of slugs. You will soon find your favorite method of deterrent. For your Googling pleasure: Escar-Go/Sluggo; shallow tuna-type can of beer; wet board; copper collar; and the aforementioned hand-picking and drowning.

o

Wow! good stuff.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here