Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
annie_nh

NH Plant Swap Part 2 Final Details

annie_nh
11 years ago

Hi everyone

I just woke up to the fact that our plant swap is a little over a week away.

Please respond here if you are coming and whether or not you are planning to stay for lunch (I need to know how much onion soup to make)Plan to arrive here by 10 at the latest and bring a lawn chair if you are like me and need to sit once in a while

Email me if you need directions. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we will have warm sunny weather but we will have a good time regardless.

Looking forward to seeing you all.

Annie

Comments (28)

• sinbadsmom
    11 years ago

Hi Annie! I forgot to ask if you might have anymore of those yellow lupine seeds. You gave me some last year and I lost all the seedlings.
    I'll be there and I'll bring chicken salad sandwiches and something for the dessert table. Kathie

• blaketaylore
    11 years ago

Hi Annie,

Michael and I will be there.
    Bringing deviled eggs and cranberry nut bread.

Blake

• annie_nh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Kathy
    I will try to find some yellow lupin seeds Most of the pods have already opened up and scattered the seeds. If I do not find any I will dig up a plant for you. In fact I'll dig you up one anyway
    did the grapeleaf anemone survive?
    Annie

• sinbadsmom
    11 years ago

Yes Annie it did!! Looks great its flowering now, Thanks so much!!! Kathie

• sicula
    11 years ago

Hello!
    Thank you for all your help starting my new garden!
    While all donated perennials are welcome and appreciated, I also have some favorites. They include daylillies, daisies, coneflower,geraniums(perennials),hydrangea, rudbeckia, galliarda, coreopsis(any kind),iris,foxflove, sedum, etc.
    Seeds of hollyhocks, poppy,morning glory (any variety) are also on my wish list.
    Smaller shrubs as well would be appreciated.
    Thanks again, and I'm looking foward to seeing everyone!
    Piera

• sinbadsmom
    11 years ago

Piera, sent you an email.

• sasha_nh
    11 years ago

Piera,

I have 2 types of geraniums-one blooms in spring(purplish) and one is blooming now (dark pink) I'll bring you some of both. I also have a beautiful rose mallow that has lots of seeds to share. See you on Sunday.
    Marsha

• annie_nh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Piera and anyone else who might be interested I have

blue cardinal flower
    obident plant
    goose neck loose strife
    rose of sharon
    phlox
    magnolia
    turtle head
    lady bells
    thorn-less honey locus
    agistache
    grape leaf anemone
    foliage plants
    Jerusalem artichoke
    Some of these I have not dug up so I may just give you a shovel as I have a bad hip

• annie_nh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Piera
    I also have some old fashioned hydrangeas

• annie_nh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Piera and anyone else

I also have cone flower and jacob's ladder

• annie_nh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well the rain is pouring down here at the moment and it looks like it is going to be awhile before it stops. BUT WE WILL HAVE THE SWAP COME HELL OR HIGH WATER. We have done it before in the rain and as I remember it was one of the most fun.
    Just bring your umbrella I will clear out the barn and between that, the breeze way and the porch we will survive!!!

Annie

• defrost49
    11 years ago

Annie, sorry to miss the fall swap again. Rain or shine, I'm sure it will be a great time. I know I've been to a rainy swap before and had the best time. I think it made the soup taste even better.

Hope to see everyone in the spring!

• blaketaylore
    11 years ago

Hello Piera.

I am so glad you sent in your list. As I roamed my yard this afternoon, I was able to dig up a few bearded Irises for you, some purple and some yellow, both full size large ones.

Looking forward to meeting you.

Blake

• gata
    11 years ago

Hi Annie,
    I'll be at the swap, bringing houseplants and Red Daylilies (H. 'Chicago Apache').
    Look forward to seeing you all!
    Gata

• sasha_nh
    11 years ago

Morning All,

Sorry to say I will not make the swap this morning-not sure what Ive done to my back but I think I should stay home today and rest up. Have fun and I'll see you next spring.

Marsha

• annie_nh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone for coming to the plant swap. We weathered the weather and I think everyone had a good time( We certainly ate well).I can't believe all the wonderful food you people brought. It shows that most gardeners are fabulous cooks.I have so much left-over delicious food that I won't have to do any cooking for several days.
    What a load of plants you guys brought and it seems like most people went home with more plants than they came with.
    Special thanks to Liz, Joan and my daughter for directing traffic,doing kitchen detail and Special special thanks to Joan's daughter for planting the bushes along the stone wall for me.

Kathy, to answer your question about the yellow lupin plant I gave you, the botanical name for it it is Thermopsis caroliniana It is a native North carolina plant but will grow anywhere in the US
    It is relativity unknown and is hard to find commercially.

Well as usual there are quite a few plants left over but I have decided to plant them along the road as our road has been designated a scenic road and the walkers enjoy looking at all the flowers.
    Thanks again for coming
    See you all in the Spring
    Annie

• sicula
    11 years ago

Thank you to all for the plants and the wonderful time. Thank you again Piera

• annie_nh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Kathie

I was looking for something I misplaced (story of my life) and noticed a package in the dining room and found a basket with lots of items in it. Couldn't imagine what it was but found a card and saw that it was from you. What a lovely gift thank you so much
    I'm really going to enjoy my bath tonight
    Annie

• blaketaylore
    11 years ago

What a Fantastic time!!!!

Thank you, Annie!!!!

NHBABS, thanks for potting up the plants and bringing them over. I do hope one day you are able to make it to one of Annie's swap. They are so much fun.

I really think gardeners are my favorite people!

• beryllium
    11 years ago

Thanks Annie for a great plant swap and wonderful get together. I came home with some indoor plants, which I usually don't do (I tend to kill indoor plants). Will work very hard at keeping them healthy. Did come home with a scented geranium that I am not sure is an indoor or outdoor plant (It has pink flowers with maroon splashes of color on the petals). Got it from either Gata or Blake. Do I bring it in or plant it in my harden????

• annie_nh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So glad you were able to come.I have the scented geraniums in my garden and they are very hardy I would suggest planting them outside now
    annie

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    11 years ago

beryllium -

I didn't bring the scented geranium to the swap, but they are like the annual geraniums in that they can be grown outside in the summer, but aren't winter hardy and have to be brought inside in the winter. I have a lemon geranium that I'v brought inside for several winters. It's lovely having the fresh scent when I brush against the leaves. Next spring put it out in the shade after the danger of frost is past and only gradually give it sun, increasing a bit of time each day over a couple of weeks so the leaves don't scorch.

• annie_nh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So what are the geraniums that I have that come up every year in my garden?

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    11 years ago

The true Geraniums are perennials. I have a bunch of them and love them, but the leaves aren't scented like the scented geraniums which are in the genus Pelargonium (like the common bright red or pink potted flowers which aren't hardy.) All 3 (scented, non-hardy, and perennials) are commonly called geraniums which is rather confusing.

• beryllium
    11 years ago

Thanks for the info nhbabs. I went on the porch and took a sniff at the leaves. They don't have a pleasant smell like my hardy geraniums, so I think I will bring the pot in as I believe it will be in the 30's tonight (10/7). Better safe than sorry.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    11 years ago

Beryllium - If you take a photo you can post it here; see directions at top of main New Engand forum page under "What's New" "New! Find out how to upload your own photos!" From a photo it's easy to tell the difference between the three kinds so we can tell you. If it's hardy it needs to be planted outside soon. Or you can look at online photos of hardy geraniums (plant outside) and scented geraniums (potted inside for the winter.)

As you can see from the photos linked below, there is quite a bit of variety in scented geraniums' leaf shape and size, but IME they all are fuzzy, and when gently rubbed they have a strong scent which varies with the variety from citrusy to woodsy to floral. Stems tend to be thicker, almost like the regular potted geraniums.

Leaves for hardy perennial geraniums are thin and not fuzzy usually. If they have stems other than on the leaves, they are thin.

Here is a link that might be useful: scented geranium photos

• teachmanav
    9 years ago

Hi This is Henry and yes I will be attending with a friend I will be bringing a couple of plants blue phlox and also a Rasberry pie bar for dessert assabethv@hotmail.com

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    9 years ago

Henry -

This post was from 2012. I don't think that Annie's swap is happening this year.