Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
annie_nh

NH Fall Plant Swap

annie_nh
11 years ago

Hi Plant Swappers

I can not believe that it is September First and summer is coming to an end!!!! Where did the time fly to?

Anyway I guess it is time to make plans for our Fall Swap

It will be Sunday September 30th

Let me know if you plan to attend

we can talk about plants and eats later.

Comments (33)

• sinbadsmom
    11 years ago

Hi Annie!!! I've been looking for this post! Count me in, looking forward to it. The grape anemone you gave me in the spring is flowering now and it looks great. Thank you so much!!! Kathie

• diane4000
    11 years ago

Hi Annie,

I am there! I have some interesting perennials to trade or give away. This was a tough gardening year. I'm purging my yard of anything that woodchucks prefer! Looking forward to seeing everyone, old friends and new. --Diane

• deirdre13
    11 years ago

Hello All!
    Piera,Diane,and I are looking forward to attending. Piera sold her house and was unable to move her gardens with her. She has since purchased another house and is starting her garden from scratch, so if anyone would like to help her with starts from your gardens to hers, I know she would greatly appreciate it!
    Can't wait to see everyone!
    Deirdre

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    11 years ago

Any info on Piera's growing conditions - mostly shady, sunny, damp or dry? Does she just like perennials or are small trees and shrubs okay?

• blaketaylore
    11 years ago

Hi Deirdre,

Maybe Piera can make a long wish list of what she would like and needs in her new garden. If I have anything that is on her wish list, I would be happy to bring it in for her.

Blake

PS Annie, Michael and I will be there. Looking forward to it as ususal!

• annie_nh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Great IDEA Blake

PIERA

MAKE THAT Wish list I sure we will be able to fill it.
    Annie

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    11 years ago

Annie, thanks once again for hosting. I'm sure it will be a great time as usual.

Deirdre, Sorry to hear Piera could not move her gardens. That's too bad. I'm close to Annie's and have been known to fill entire backs of pickup trucks with plants dug from the garden. If you all want to stop over after the swap we can grab some shovels and dig like crazy. Is she looking for perennials for the most part, or shrubs too? I have seedlings of Deutzia gracilis 'Nikko' and Callicarpa 'Amethyst'. Also have a seedling of Hypericum kalmianum and I'm sure some other shrub seedlings. I definitely have perennials to spare. If she likes daylilies, I have a whole mess of them to offer. They are all named varieties, although I don't have them labeled so it would be more of a grab-bag, but they are all very nice. Also have random named (not labeled) bearded iris to spare.
    Susan

• scpearson
    11 years ago

Oh, boo hoo, I'm going to miss the Fall swap too this year.
    Our family just picked our end of summer clambake date - you guess it, the 30th! I'm so disappointed.
    Well, wishing everyone great weather.

Susan in CT

• annie_nh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We will miss you

• dfaustclancy
    11 years ago

Hello Annie and Fellow Swappers,

Sorry, I won't be able to make it this time, we'll be in Rhode Island that weekend. I sure will miss you all but am wishing wonderful weather for you and plenty of nice plants and a great lunch! See you in the spring. Annie, you are having a spring swap right? hahaha You're stuck now!
    Debra

• diane4000
    11 years ago

Just out in the yard taking inventory. These perennials needs homes. Please let me know if you're interested and I will save one for you.

Baby's Breath (1) (Gypsophila)
    St Bernard Lily (3) (Anthericum liliago)
    Balloon Flower (3) (Platycodon)
    Yellow Wild Indigo (2) (Baptisia tinctoria)
    Lemon Balm (1) (Melissa)
    Houseplant - Lipstick Vine (Aeschynanthus)

• annie_nh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Diane
    I would love your st Bernard Lily and your Yellow wild Indigo
    What is on your want list?
    I could dig up a hibiscus or Rose of Sharon or Monkshood Not sure what else is left as all this heat has burned up many of my flowers.Funny thing is the heat didn't dry up the weeds
    what a summer this has been.

• blaketaylore
    11 years ago

Hi Diane,

Would like the baby's breath.

What is on your wish list.

Blake

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    11 years ago

I'll be there! I'm not going to bring a hundred plants this time, I don't have the back to dig this year.

Diane, I would love one of your saint bernard lily's. I will post a list soon and you can chose what you want in trade.

Deirdre, I will give you a call, you and piera can come and pick out a few things she wants from the gardens.

Lisa

• diane4000
    11 years ago

I know, what a crappy gardening year! Annie, I'd love another monkshood (the one you gave me last year has a bud right now).

I'm also looking for pink or red yarrow, any type of foxglove, and perennial mums in any color except yellow.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    11 years ago

I don't think I can make it, but I can dig things up to leave at Annie's if that's OK with her. Right now I don't have any room for new plants so perhaps it's just as well I can't make it, though it would be fun to meet some of the familiar names on this forum. I have some coppery colored very double perennial mums if Diane or anyone else wants them. They have spread beyond their allotted space, so I will be doing the digging regardless - it's just whether it will be composted or not. They are always the last thing still in bloom in my garden, and are just pushing open now. I also have some seedlings of Amsonia hubrichtii and regular blue Baptisia australis if anyone would like me to dig them. All these are sun plants. I can also bring seedlings or seeds from a tall purple meadow rue (Thalictrum), though I no longer know what kind it is. Mine is in full sun, and I think it might be floppy in shade without support, though I don't know that. It's quite tall (6+ feet) but airy and sprouts readily from seed. I have it at the front as well as the back of the border.

• diane4000
    11 years ago

nhbabs, I would love one of your mums and a seedling of blue Baptisia. Thanks!

• annie_nh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi nhbabs
    Let me know when you will be stopping by It will be so nice to meet you. I would love one of your perennial mums and a purple meadow rue seedling. You can take a look at my garden and see if there is anything you might like.
    annie

• sinbadsmom
    11 years ago

Evening, Diane I have several different foxgloves, seedlings, apricot, chocolate, white, and a purplish pink if your interested.
    Nhbabs, I would love one of the mums and some seed from the meadow rue. Kathie

• diane4000
    11 years ago

Sinsbadsmom, Nice to hear from you! Apricot and white sound good. I have some others as you describe. Thank you!

• diane4000
    11 years ago

Piera, I've been meaning to mention, CONGRATULATIONS on your new home! I have some crocus bulbs for you and a few choice perennials. I can also bring some seeds. EVERYONE: How about a "seed bomb" for Piera?

• annie_nh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Okay Diane, I guess I am ignorant, What is a seed bomb?

• blaketaylore
    11 years ago

Hello All,

Diane, I will watch as my mums bloom. If I see one that is not yellow, I will bring it in for you. I do think I have white and pink ones. I just can't tell what is what until they bloom!

NHbabs, I would enjoy getting the Amsonia hubrichtii, copper mum, and the purple meadow rue if you still have any available.

Hello All, I do have a very small patch of teasle. I originaly got it from an herbalist. If there are any herbalist who would appreciate having teasle let me know and I will dig one up for you.

I can also dig up:
    echinacia
    southernwood
    stinging nettle
    liatris ( gay feathers)
    peppermint
    rose campion

I am looking for:

hostas
    astilbe
    day lillies
    jacob's ladder
    lady's mantle

Annie,

I will bring the home raised devil eggs for the lunch table, and a cranbury nut cake for the coffee table.

Looking forward to seeing everyone in a three weeks. This summer sure flew by!

• sinbadsmom
    11 years ago

Blake, did you say daylilies? Do you care if they're named?
    I will bring chicken salad sandwiches, and something for the dessert table. Kathie

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    11 years ago

Blake, I have 'Color Flash' astilbe, many daylilies and quite a bit of Lady's Mantle. Do you want a lot of each? Are you still trying to fill a bit of space? I can pot up a whole bunch for you if you need a lot.

• blaketaylore
    11 years ago

Hello Sinbadsmom,

Unnamed daylillies are just great! Thanks

Hello thyme2dig,
    Yes, I do need a lot. So any you can manage to pot up will be appreciated, thanks!

• diane4000
    11 years ago

Hi Annie, I think I just made that up! A "money bomb" is when a bunch of people get together and donate money to a good cause, so I was thinking Piera could use our extra seeds.

• diane4000
    11 years ago

Blake, those deviled eggs!! So glad you are bringing them again.

• annie_nh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Blake

I have Jacob's ladder and hostas

• blaketaylore
    11 years ago

Hi Annie,

Thanks you! It appears there isn't anything on my list that you want or need in trade, so I was wondering if you could use a five gallon bucket of coffee beans for your garden, or compost pile; or perhpas you would like some home canned applesauce with cinnamin in it?

Blake

• blaketaylore
    11 years ago

Hi Annie,

That is spent coffee grounds, not coffee beans! I guess I wasn't wake when I wrote that.

Blake

• annie_nh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Blake
    I would love the coffee grounds for my compost!!!!

I'll wait till you get here to dig the hostas. so you can show me which ones you would like. I have loads down by my pool that could stand to be divided as well as quite a few in front of my porch. I seem to remember your husband was pretty handy with the shovel!!!!

• sasha_nh
    11 years ago

Morning all,

Sheila won't be able to make it this year (HS reunion)
    I'll be there and I hope to bring some plant swap 'newbies'

Still looking to see what I'll bring-I do have some Lady's Mantle tall white phlox and I'll see if I can dig up some more baptisa have lots of obedient plant too. See you on the 30th
    Marsha