I am involved with starting a garden to be placed at TEEN CHALLENGE
Twin Cities Girls Academy
53 Highland Ave
Fitchburg, MA 01420
(978) 345-2912

GIVING TEENS A SECOND CHANCE
"Change the heart, and you will change the person"

http://www.tcfitchburg.org/

It is home for up to 15 girls ages 12 to 17 trying to break free from drug and alcohol addiction.
I am a parent figure for one of the students that is there at this time. My student Sarah lived with me at my home prior to being in the program. I am an avid gardener and she saw the benefit of it for herself. When Sarah got to her new home she approached the staff about starting a garden there. And my idea of asking you to help set up a garden program for the girls was born. The girls are in residence at the school for at least 15 months
. The Teen Challenge Program is not for profit and many of the students there are on scholarships.I know once we have a clearer direction we can apply for grants from various places like Johny select seeds However your groups assistance in helping form this vision by donating time and materials would be greatly appreciated. The Girls Academy is a registerd 501 c and will be able to give you receipts for all donations.
You may call the number above and speak to Kate Smith ot the Director "Apryl Cordry" acordry@tcnewengland.org to verify this request.

I thank you for your time and eagerly await your reply.

Regards,
Michelle Tarver

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: whoops she is at it again....

Michelle

You spirit of community service is amazing and inspiring.

What type of garden (veggie, flowers, shrubs and trees or all of the above,) and what are they looking for? I would assume that they want gardening tools, but what else? Are they looking to raise their own vegetable plants from seeds and want pots, or do they want plant divisions or . . . .? Do they want things now or not until spring?

o
RE: whoops she is at it again....

not commendable..certifiable... LOL

YES We are doing as many raised beds as we can get lumber for to do veggies in for the house, I have all the veggie seeds they need.

YES the need all the basics .Shovels,trowels,pick axe,rakes plus
Mentors,volunteers. gloves,hand tools,soil amendments

They are going to start from seed directly in the raised beds that we will cover for the veggies.

For the plants for the flower gardens its divisions and rooted cuttings ect ect shrubs and trees.... It's a beautiful old house with NO garden nothing but turf.
they will need pots next spring . . .

NOW they need if we can get it :

Lumber to build raised beds for veggies and soil to fill them. and a carpenter
EMT to make hoop houses out of raised beds so they can start planting seeds right in to raised beds
Greenhouse plastic to cover the hoops.
Greenhouse plastic to cover cold frames

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here