Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cucumber plants dying from middle up

Posted by Onoahimahi 6 MA (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 5, 13 at 18:11

Hi - I have 6 cucumber plants in the same location that have been doing fine until recently where 3 of them have basically died from the middle on up to the top. This is shown in the photo where the leaf in the middle of the shot is green yet all the leaves above it are completely dead, and the leaves below it are green. This first occurred in the middle of August so I pulled that plant out. Now two more are doing it. Any idea of what is going on here? They are getting plenty of water and the ones that aren't affected are doing fine and producing cucumbers.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cucumber plants dying from middle up

Could it be borers? Check the stems around the point where the dead leaves start and see if there is a larva inside the stem. My grandfather (after cursing! LOL!) would cut a small slit in the stems of his zucchini plants and remove the larva, and the plants continued to flourish.

Photobucket

o
RE: Cucumber plants dying from middle up

No sign of borers that I could tell. I have dealt with squash vine borers in zucchini plants - those have larger diameter vines and the grubs are about 14" diameter. I sliced open the cucumber vines and didn't see anything inside. The insides of the healthy parts didn't look significantly different from the dying parts. I did find a few striped cucumber beetles and understand they can cause bacterial wilt. Can wilt kill the plant from the middle up as I am seeing?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here