Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When to plant Hyacinth + etc

Posted by epark102 z6 CT (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 20, 08 at 20:52

Hi,

I have a couple of newbie questions. I saw a local Costco is selling bags of tulip and hyacinth bulbs. I'd like to put some of those blubs in my new garden, but I am wondering:

1. Can I plant those bulbs now? Or should I wait until it gets colder?

2. If I have to wait a while, how should I store those blubs?

3. I'd like to save a few bulbs to plant in a pot in winter/early spring to have some flowers inside the house when there is still snow out there. What should I do?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When to plant Hyacinth + etc

Buy now. Put bags in a fridge, but not together with fresh produce. Plant when nights temps will be constantly below 45F.

o

Congrats on getting bulbs! :) I ordered some hyacinths (and other bulbs) from Old House Gardens...they are delaying shipping until it's time to plant them. I'll post again when I receive the order. :) Here's some info from OLD HOUSE GARDENS website:

When to Plant
You can plant most bulbs in the fall when soil temperatures in your area drop to about 60F. You can also keep planting, as necessary, LONG after the first frost, as long as the soil remains workable. This is much later than many people realize, requiring many nights below freezing.
However, since small bulbs dry out in storage more easily and their shallow planting depths subject them to earlier freezing, they should be planted in most zones IMMEDIATELY. This is also true of all lilies, Fritillaria, Hyacinthoides, and Camassia.
Hyacinths root better in not-too-cool soil, so plant them next, then narcissus, and finally tulips, which prefer the coolest soil. Dont wait too late, though, because if the soil freezes down to the bulbs before they root well, health and performance will be impaired. To keep soil warmer longer, apply a thick, light winter mulch such as straw or pine needles but not if you have bulb-eating voles.
Here's a link for forcing bulbs...just keep in mind that forced bulbs can only be used once. But it's so worth it to get a bit of color/scent during winter!

GL!

Here is a link that might be useful: Hyacinth Forcing--AKA Winter STINKS!

o

• Posted by claire z6b Coastal MA (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 22, 08 at 12:00

I know you're in CT, but you can get an idea of soil temperatures in zone 6 by looking at the table in the UMass Landscape Message. Scroll down to the table entitled 2008 Growing Degree Days - soil temps are in a column to the right.

Soil temperatures are in the mid-60's now (that reading from Boston looks suspiciously low).

Claire

o

Claire,

What a great website! Thanks for the post! :)

carolyn

o

Thank you all for the very helpful info.
I will plant them in a couple of weeks.
This is my first time with bulbs and I am so excited.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here