Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
evonnestoryteller

Frost

evonnestoryteller
14 years ago

I was listening to the radio in CT. Tonight the temperatures are supposed to dip down into the 40's. On Saturday night, they said some inland patchy frost could happen! Still, I keep thinking summer is going to come any day now. I suppose I should get my bulbs planted!

Comments (10)

• bill_ri_z6b
    14 years ago

Yikes! And it's still summer! Autumn doesn't officially begin until Sept. 22nd at 5:18 PM. I'm bringing in the more tender plants this weekend. Too bad because it seems this is when things look pretty good! Well, this is New England.

• evonnestoryteller
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I looked at the average frost date on the Farmer's Almanac, and it is 10/09/09 for CT.

Victory Seed Company has different dates though:

http://www.victoryseeds.com/frost/ct.html

Average First and Last Frost Dates
    for Connecticut

City Spring Fall

Danbury 5/15 9/22
    Falls Village 6/3 9/12
    Hartford 5/12 9/23
    Mt. Carmel 5/14 9/24
    Norwalk (Gas Plant) 5/8 10/2
    Storrs 5/14 9/24
    West Thompson 6/4 9/13

Here is a link that might be useful: Average Frost Dates

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    14 years ago

My son missed the bus yesterday, and as I drove him to school, I did a double-take because I saw that several lawns looked white! I was hoping it was the slant of the morning sun hitting the dew, and not frost, but who knows?

:)
    Dee

• spedigrees z4VT
    14 years ago

A frost was predicted for last night here, but it didn't materialize. I spent yesterday bringing in the plants I plan to overwinter, along with my garden statuary. Probably tonight we'll get a frost.

• claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
    14 years ago

Lower 40's are forecast for tonight, but the temperatures are supposed to warm up tomorrow night and the next week or so. I dug out the frost blanket and some old row covers and I'll cover the more sensitive houseplants on the porch tonight.

I'm hoping to leave them out for a few weeks more, then they'll come into the house in stages depending on temperatures.

We probably won't have frost for a while here by the coast.

Claire

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    14 years ago

Gee, I just got a weather alert from a weather service I subscribe to, and there was a frost warning for tonight! At 10:00 at night I'm too tired to run outside to cover anything, but I don't really have anything I need to save anyway. Most of my annuals never made it through the rainy spring, lol!

Dee

• evonnestoryteller
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I wonder if it frosted or not? I slept in. :)

Who sends you weather alerts including frost warnings? I could use that service.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    14 years ago

Well, believe it or not, it's the Weather Channel. I say believe it or not because until about 30 seconds ago when I went to check, I didn't even know it was the Weather Channel, lol! It's a desktop thing my son put on and it pops up when you sign on. You minimize it, the temp stays in your bottom menu/task bar, and then if there is a weather alert it turns orangy-yellow.

I saw it last evening and wondered what the heck kind of bad weather could be coming when it was so gorgeous here yesterday. Turned out it was a frost warning. I was going to say that I don't remember ever getting frost warnings before, but now that I think about it, I think I have received them in the past.

Oh, forgot to give the most important info - it's called The Weather Channel Desktop. I have no idea where my son got it from, but I imagine if you go to the Weather Channel's site you should be able to download it.

No, I don't think we got a frost this morning. I was out early and honestly didn't notice, and I think it would have caught my eye, but I wasn't really thinking about it then.

Dee

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    14 years ago

It was 36 degrees here at 6:30 this morning, so we didn't get frost last night. We're in a valley, but so close to the Merrimack River that it actually delays our first frost, since the river mists when the air cools enough at night. Some people in more frost prone areas may well have gotten frost, particularly in the northern part of NH in the mountains.

• defrost49
    14 years ago

I was away for the weekend and didn't realize until Monday that a light frost had zapped my veggie garden. That was it for basil, tomato plants, beans, squash, etc. The tomatoes, peppers and basil against the house and around the kitchen porch were protected by the warmth of the house. We put covers on a couple on things last night but I don't think it got as cold as they thought it would. This has been a challenging gardening year with the late frost in May and the early frost last week. I have one of Eliot Coleman's books and I think a small poly tunnel or similar might be a good idea next year.