Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Spring wedding!

Posted by gaia6b z6B MA (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 12, 10 at 22:29

My lovely stepdaughter has asked me to do the flowers for her mid-May 2011 wedding. And we are wanting to save money! I'm a little scared to do her bouquet (general bouquet-making knowledge is limited) but love thinking about table arrangements and larger arrangements. I'm hoping to use blossoming branches from shrubs and trees: apples, viburnums, lilacs. Anyone have a guess about what trees and shrubs will be blooming in mid-May on the north coast of Boston? Or just any advice at all about depending on Mother Nature to cooperate in this way? Or any advice about wedding flowers in general? Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spring wedding!

Gaia, congratulations on your stepdaughters upcoming marriage, must be so exciting! I wish I had some experience with creating flower arrangements for weddings to share with you, but no. I dont think I would be that brave to take it on. [g] I like your idea of using branches. It sounds very spring like. I wonder when dogwood starts blooming? Apple blossoms sound nice, I don't have any apple trees.

The weather patterns have been so erratic in recent years. I know this year, the bloom schedule in my garden was off by 3 weeks, so Id have a little anxiety trying to depend on a certain flower being in bloom for a wedding. I am in zone 6a, so not sure if my bloom schedule would be similar to yours. My lilac Avalanche opened its first bud in the 3rd week of April this year which was early and was already deadheaded by the 13th of May. Roses and Peonies, the first week of June. Viburnums depends on the variety. V. carlesii which to me is the most fragrant, is earlier. It bloomed for me the third week of April this year. Too early for Hydrangea in May, I think.

I wonder if potted plants might help out in doing table arrangements. Like daffodils and/or tulips? If there were one or two plants or flowers you could depend on, then you could take your chances on what else would be in bloom that you could add.

Other thoughts....there is a bloom sequence chart on the Arnold Arboretum site to give an idea of what they have that is in bloom when. It is Boston and not north shore though. You might call local nurseries and ask what they expect to be in bloom that time of year. They might have more experience in trying to predict that. Especially any nursery that prepares an exhibit for the Flower Show has to know how to have bloom ready by a certain date. Also, if I could have anyone do my flowers for a wedding, it would be Winston Flowers. You might call and ask them what flowers you could expect them to use to make up an arrangement in Mid May.

Hopefully, someone else can be of more help. Good luck!

o
RE: Spring wedding!

You are so kind to even consider this! However,unless y ou have a greenhouse and a lot of experience IDK..the stress it causes you may not be worth the $ you save.

The potted tulip/hyacinth center peices would be pretty or I am giving you a link to DIY flowers you buy in bulk. Good luck and Congrats!

Here is a link that might be useful: easy wedding flowers

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here