Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Identification of perennial by its leaf?

Posted by Pat1010 MA z5 (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 27, 12 at 23:23

Does anyone know what plant this leaf belongs to? I love the jagged edge of its leaves, but I don't know the name of the plant.

You can't see it in the picture, but the leaf also has a few small, spikey hairs on its surface.

Thanks for your help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Identification of perennial by its leaf?

Do you also have a photo if the overall plant?

o

Unfortunately, I don't have a picture of the whole plant. :(

o

Anything else you know about the plant?

It looks a bit like doronicum.

o

Unfortunately I don't have any other information.

o

So you found a random leave, you like the look of the leave, and now you want the plant?

No info? Is is a shrub or a tree or a perennial? No info on flowers? Height? Width? Stem info? Where was the plant growing?

o

It looks a bit like garlic mustard - if so, you'd want to eradicate it. Garlic mustard is an extremely invasive pest.

PL, the OP said that it's a perennial.

o

DTD - I was also thinking it looked like garlic mustard. But then I'm the one who nurtured a garlic mustard plant this spring thinking it was lunaria.

But Mad asked if she knew anything else about the plant. And she said she knew nothing. So I'm wondering how she knows its perennial if she doesn't know anything else.

o

pixie_lou, I put the post up for a friend who saw the plant, and had brought me a leaf thinking I would know what it was. She said there was nothing remarkable about it, no flowers or berries, just the jagged edge of the leaves. The owner of the plant knew that it was a perennial but didn't know what it was. Sorry I don't have more information. Thanks for your thoughts on what it might be!

o

Pat - we are trying to help you here. You registered on Thursday and I'm guessing you registered specifically to ask this question. For some reason you chose to ask on New England Gardening as opposed to Name athat Plant.

We are trying to help you here. When we ask you questions, we are not trying to delve into your personal life. We are trying to get more info to help you identify this plant. I personally find it frustrating that we have to ask questions 3 times to get more info. And you still have not answered any basics such as size of plant, growing location, etc. if you truly want some help why don't you try giving us some info as opposed to snarky little "nope" one liners followed by smiley faces.

We are not professionals here. We are just regular everyday people who happen to garden in New England and we interact and try to help each other on this forum. This isn't some type of game of who can identify the perennial with the least amount of information.

o

I saw nothing at all 'snarky' in Pat's responses, and PL, I think you're being rather unkind to a new visitor to this forum. She already explained why she had no more info.

o

Hi Pat. Welcome to the New England Gardening Forum!
I'm not sure, but that leaf reminds me of a perennial aster that my grandfather had in his garden. I don't know what the scientific name of it was. Maybe your friend could give you a bit more information about the plant, such as flowering time, color, height, etc. or you or your friend might try Google search for perennial aster photos. Just a thought. Hope it helps.

Photobucket

o

Thanks for everyone's thoughts about this plant! I felt bad that I couldn't identify it by the leaf alone, but it looks like its not so easy, even for veteran gardeners!

o

I think its doronicum orientale. If it is ,it should have yellow daisies in spring.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here