Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pat1010_gw

Identification of perennial by its leaf?

Pat1010
11 years ago

Does anyone know what plant this leaf belongs to? I love the jagged edge of its leaves, but I don't know the name of the plant.

You can't see it in the picture, but the leaf also has a few small, spikey hairs on its surface.

Thanks for your help!

Comments (13)

• pixie_lou
    11 years ago

Do you also have a photo if the overall plant?

• Pat1010
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Unfortunately, I don't have a picture of the whole plant. :(

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    11 years ago

Anything else you know about the plant?

It looks a bit like doronicum.

• Pat1010
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Unfortunately I don't have any other information.

• pixie_lou
    11 years ago

So you found a random leave, you like the look of the leave, and now you want the plant?

No info? Is is a shrub or a tree or a perennial? No info on flowers? Height? Width? Stem info? Where was the plant growing?

• diggingthedirt
    11 years ago

It looks a bit like garlic mustard - if so, you'd want to eradicate it. Garlic mustard is an extremely invasive pest.

PL, the OP said that it's a perennial.

• pixie_lou
    11 years ago

DTD - I was also thinking it looked like garlic mustard. But then I'm the one who nurtured a garlic mustard plant this spring thinking it was lunaria.

But Mad asked if she knew anything else about the plant. And she said she knew nothing. So I'm wondering how she knows its perennial if she doesn't know anything else.

• Pat1010
    Original Author
    11 years ago

pixie_lou, I put the post up for a friend who saw the plant, and had brought me a leaf thinking I would know what it was. She said there was nothing remarkable about it, no flowers or berries, just the jagged edge of the leaves. The owner of the plant knew that it was a perennial but didn't know what it was. Sorry I don't have more information. Thanks for your thoughts on what it might be!

• pixie_lou
    11 years ago

Pat - we are trying to help you here. You registered on Thursday and I'm guessing you registered specifically to ask this question. For some reason you chose to ask on New England Gardening as opposed to Name athat Plant.

We are trying to help you here. When we ask you questions, we are not trying to delve into your personal life. We are trying to get more info to help you identify this plant. I personally find it frustrating that we have to ask questions 3 times to get more info. And you still have not answered any basics such as size of plant, growing location, etc. if you truly want some help why don't you try giving us some info as opposed to snarky little "nope" one liners followed by smiley faces.

We are not professionals here. We are just regular everyday people who happen to garden in New England and we interact and try to help each other on this forum. This isn't some type of game of who can identify the perennial with the least amount of information.

• diggingthedirt
    11 years ago

I saw nothing at all 'snarky' in Pat's responses, and PL, I think you're being rather unkind to a new visitor to this forum. She already explained why she had no more info.

• bill_ri_z6b
    11 years ago

Hi Pat. Welcome to the New England Gardening Forum!
    I'm not sure, but that leaf reminds me of a perennial aster that my grandfather had in his garden. I don't know what the scientific name of it was. Maybe your friend could give you a bit more information about the plant, such as flowering time, color, height, etc. or you or your friend might try Google search for perennial aster photos. Just a thought. Hope it helps.

{{gwi:5901}}

• Pat1010
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for everyone's thoughts about this plant! I felt bad that I couldn't identify it by the leaf alone, but it looks like its not so easy, even for veteran gardeners!

• lauramg8
    11 years ago

I think its doronicum orientale. If it is ,it should have yellow daisies in spring.