Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
purchasing trees now--where?

Posted by idabean 5A (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 9, 10 at 23:28

I will be buying several trees soon: Kousa Wolf Eyes, a blue Holly (2 actually, if I want berries) some good sized conifers or "evergreens"- japanese pine, maybe limber pine, chamycypris crispii...

I want to get 5-6 foot trees in decent shape at a fair price (which I realize may not be cheap)

I'm thinking call nurseries first to see what they have in stock and size, then price. I'd certainly go to Rhode Island or New Hampshire to find what I want.

Have you been looking at nursery stock and seen a good selection of trees? Who's having sales on trees?

Thanks!
Marie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: purchasing trees now--where?

Katsura always has wonderful selection and quality of trees, and always worth a trip. They have sales sometimes, but I am not sure if they have anything going on right now.

Lisa

Here is a link that might be useful: Katsura Gardens

o

definitely katsura.
also see my today's stonegate sale post.

o

Haskell's (www.haskellnursery.com) in New Bedford has a wonderful selection of quality and unusual trees. Even if you don't buy antything, a trip there is like visiting a botanical garden.

Bill

o

Thanks! We're off to Katsura, which I don't think I've been to...
I spent some time at New England Nurseries. They don't carry unusual stock, but everything looked well cared for. Remarkably few browned or stressed trees, shrubs and perennials. And the young man who showed me the conifers and other things actually knew his stock and where to find things. That was a pleasant surprise.

They deserve some credit at the end of a very tough summer.

mt

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here