Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I safely plant a peegee hydrangea now?

Posted by cmprior 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 4, 09 at 8:06

I probably shouldn't have done it, but I couldn't help myself. It was love at first sight when I saw the hydrangea at my local gardening center. I also bought a couple of grasses to plant with it. Is it safe to plant them now?

Another gardening center said to plant it in the ground in its container, then dig up in the spring and replant. That way it will weather the frost better.

I'd appreciate any advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I safely plant a peegee hydrangea now?

In most of NE it's still safe to plant.

I'd plant them all - today if not sooner, if the ground is dry enough to work without turning into concrete. But I'm on the Cape, and we have a loooong slow fall season. I see you're in zone 6, but that doesn't tell us anything about how fast the seasons change in your locale.

The problem I have with sinking pots is that things can dry out without your noticing. A planted, well-mulched plant will have a better chance, IMHO.

o

I'd plant them now.

o

today if not sooner,

LOL... you want to wind the clock back??

o

"Another gardening center said to plant it in the ground in its container, then dig up in the spring and replant. That way it will weather the frost better. "

This part is beyond my understanding...
How and why the plant being planted in a pot will do better than a plant without the plastic wrap?

Suggestion to plant in a pot in a fall and then replant it in a spring make sense only if permanent spot is not available and you are looking for the temporary solution for overwintering.

o

Mulch around them well to keep the soil warmer now to help with root growth. It will also help prevent frost heaving during thaw/freeze cycles.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here