Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Too late in season for Hydrangea cuttings?

Posted by tulipsmiles 6 South of Boston (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 3, 10 at 10:44

Do you think it is too late in the season to take cuttings and keep them indoors? I could either keep them in a sunny window in my basement, or in my attached but not heated garage. My concern is that the plant is at the end of it's growing cycle and trying to shut down for the season, not create another one of itself! Are cuttings best in Spring?

zone 6 southern Massachusetts

Any feedback is appreciated,
Tulipsmiles

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Too late in season for Hydrangea cuttings?

Yes, you could take cuttins now, but you'll be obligated to baby them from now on till April, when they'll be ready to go into ground. I don't see a lot of pro in this vs early spring cuttings. Say you'll take them in March in a dormant stage and by April they'll be as good as the October one. March's will have a little bid less of the root system, that's all, but I don't see this as a crucial issue and I could make a safe bet that by the end of their first season they'll be equal.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here