Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Azalia struggling unter tree

Posted by singleton165 z5 NH Seacoast (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 31, 10 at 10:48

My friend has an azalia that is struggling under a small tree. Should we cut the tree down now, or wait until spring? I figured the tree may be protecting it a bit for the winter.
Thanks,
Tara

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Azalia struggling unter tree

Why not move the azalea? It's unusual to cut down a tree to save a shrub.

I don't think you should do anything until you determine the problem. Azaleas like really acidic soil. They also have a shallow root system so they are going to have trouble in soil that is shallow and not very fertile. If the tree is a rather aggressive species, the tree roots may be outcompeting the azalea roots. If the tree has a rather thick canopy, it may be too dry underneath the tree for the azalea to thrive.

o

Thanks. I believe the tree is a volunteer, and is blocking the view from the deck (so is a nuisance). I will cut it down in the spring and put some compost around the azalea. It's a small yard anyway and doesn't need that tree, however it got there.

o

fwiw, I had trouble with azaleas this year, presumably drought related. 3 of 5 of them really did poorly. They never really flushed out much if any new growth and struggled all season. One I had to pull it was so bad. Maybe the other two will come back next year, as will the one you posted about.

o

Azaleas (and rhododendrons) being grown in pots in peat based medium need their roots to be well disturbed (or better to be washed out of peat completely) before planting. Otherwise they'll strugle for years and may eventualy die.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here