Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leslie6ri

McCarron's or Mahoney's nurseries?

leslie6ri
9 years ago

Hello,

Does anyone from Massachusetts remember a nursery called McCarron's? My husband and I went... somewhere (sigh) in Massachusetts years ago and visited two nurseries. One was a single greenhouse where I nabbed a large Murraya paniculata. (I'll never forget because they were spraying in the greenhouse where the Murraya lived and I ran in and grabbed a plant anyway. That was very stupid, I admit, but we had traveled ALL THE WAY FROM RI! And Rhode Islanders don't like to travel very far. Smile. And I really wanted that plant!) I think that nursery's name was Mahoney's --but there seem to be quite a few locations called Mahoney's now. The other nursery was huge with 5 or more large greenhouses and people used supermarket-type shopping carts for the plants they'd chosen. I think that one may have been McCarron's. --Or vice versa.
Does anyone remember either of these nurseries from -- maybe 20 years ago? Was Mahoney's ever at only one location? Does anyone know of a very large nursery with 5 or more large greenhouses that used grocery shopping carts?
Thanks for any information,

Leslie

Comments (5)

• arbo_retum
    9 years ago

Can you remember what PART of MA the 2 were in? Were they an hour apart? 20 minutes apart?
    I have been buying from Mahoney's for almost 30 yrs. Their first store (still their 'flagship' ) is in Winchester on Rt 3A. 5 greenhouses they had and have, but i don't think any of their other locations are as big as that, unless Falmouth is.
    mahoney's , i believe, had more than 1 location 20 yrs ago.
    I wonder if you are thinking of Arrowhead on Rt 20 , just off Rt.128 (which has since become a Mahoney's) They had alot of knowledgeable staff there, more unusual plants (like Peltoboykinia.).But they never had 5 greenhouses, just one.Russell's on Rt.20 in Wayland also does not have 5 greenhouses. Cavicchio's is a wholesaler in Wayland with 2 BIG greenhouses.

I have a R.I. question re barberrys- is there a nursery nearer to Boston, in RI, that has a good selection of them?
    Proven Winners has introduced a new coral one that i'm dying to see. MA and CT nurseries , at least, don't sell berberis because it's on the Invasives list here/there (don't get me started.) Thx much.
    mindy

• Jane Doe
    8 years ago

Hi Leslie. I'm sorry, but I am not responding to your above question. I am actually extremely interested in your blue clematis that you posted 2 pictures of and just titled it "my husband's clematis". I believe I had this same kind and it was accidentally pulled out of my garden. I am trying to replace it. That was my all time favorite. Do you happen to know the name of it so that I can replace mine? Thank you so much.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    8 years ago

Auntdd1, I posted several possible names on the June 2011 thread for you.

• leslie6ri
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi Auntdd1,

Sorry, I haven't been on the GardenWeb for a while. Got an email about your question. At the moment I can't remember the name of the blue Clematis, but I'll ask my husband if he remembers... It is an amazing sight when in bloom. I noticed we had a bit of die-off after last winter, but it's putting out new shoots that we can train up the trellis. I know one of us bought a Clematis Multiblue, so check that one out. (And nhbabs may know better than I which one it is. I'll check out her suggestions too to see if anything rings a bell.)

Hi Mindy,

I'm so sorry. I posted my question about Mahoney's and never came back. I think the Mahoney's in Winchester is correct for one. And maybe Russell's for the other, but I don't remember what towns they were in. Thank you for your help.

To finally answer your question... I don't know of any nurseries that sell barberrys near me. It's the same problem with invasives. I think most nurseries are afraid they'll get an earful from customers if they do. But... we go to Wildwood Nursery and the Farmer's Daughter in RI at least a couple of times a year and I will ask them. Unfortunately, one is in East Greenwich and the other in South Kingstown and not close to Boston. We almost never go north of Providence unless it's a special trip.

Leslie

• leslie6ri
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Aunt dd1,
    I checked out nhbabs list and I don't recognize any of the Clematis varieties. I do think my husband's plant is C. 'Multi-Blue'. The picture I posted might be a little bluer than the actual flowers. They might be a little more lavender, but I can't tell if my camera or my monitor are making them look bluer.

nhbabs,

Are you familiar with Clematis 'Multi-Blue'? And do you think any of the clematis in your list are bluer than 'Multi-Blue'? Is there a true-blue Clematis?

Thanks,

Leslie