Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Am I screwed? I overseeded last week

Posted by dwyerkg 6 massachusetts (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 8, 13 at 11:57

Hi I live next to the beach and overseeded my lawn on October 2. Is that too late? Will I get any results? I was hoping being so close to the ocean would buy me a few more weeks of growth but now I am not seeing any germination and its getting cool out.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Am I screwed? I overseeded last week

You're fine as long as the grass seed was viable. It can take a while for it to germinate. I would give it a few more days.

o

• Posted by dwyerkg 6 massachusetts (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 9, 13 at 10:11

Thanks, still not seeing anything pop. I used premium lesco sun and shade from home depot.

o

As tree_oracle pointed out, you're probably okay so long as the seed is viable (i.e., wasn't too old to germinate). The ground doesn't normally freeze in this part of New England for several more weeks. Air temperature probably doesn't have as significant an impact on seed germination as amount of available moisture & hours of daylight.

o

IMO it is not too late at all, especially near the coast. At my previous house, one time I sowed grass seed much later in the season than early October, and it was zone 5! I remember seeing the first grass seedlings pop up over Christmas vacation - believe it or not. Apparently it was a mild fall that year, and it has been a mild fall this year too.

I was just recently thinking about overseeding the little side yard with some clover, where I've started a lawn this year. Well it's not fully established yet - IMO establishing a healthy organic lawn is a multi-year process, because it takes a few years for perennials grasses to mature (kinda like growing perennials from seed). And I just top dressed this side yard with compost the past few weeks, and so I'll probably wait until spring to overseed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here