Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please help us plan trip to CT!

Posted by plumism z4-5 MA (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 9, 09 at 12:06

We just decided to head down to Trombley's and Quacking Grass Nursaries this week from Northshore MA. Any suggestions of great CT. display gardens not to miss? Also looking for a great place to stay over Saturday nite and a couple great places to eat-looking for scenic and rusic!

Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please help us plan trip to CT!

I'm prejudice because it's my home town but Old Wethersfield right next to Hartford is beautiful. Unfortunately one of their gems, Comstock, Ferre & Co.(one of the country's oldest seed company's - in operation since 1820) has closed. Main street usually has a scarecrow contest with many displays. If you're interested in "Washington slept here" historic houses, there are several. It may be a little far from where you are going (about 45 minutes or an hour). But if you are going by, you might want to drive through. It's the oldest (1634) established town in CT. I'm going tomorrow and will see if the scarecrows and ghost displays are lining Main Street and you can check out the town on the web.

I can't think of the names of the places, but years and years ago I used to go with my Grandparents to nurseries around Bristol in the fall. There were acres of mums.

Have a good time whereever you end up! The weather sounds nice and the scenery should be lovely.

o

what about White Flower Farms in Litchfield/Morris on rte 63

o

Broken Arrow Nursery in Hamden might be worth a stop just for the view from their back hoophouses alone. It's a spectacular view, and I imagine at this time of year even more so. Do keep in mind they are closed Wednesdays. I found out the hard way, lol. And they are only about a half hour drive from Twomblys (I live a mile or so away from Twombly's and it takes me about half an hour to get to BAN using back roads; highways might be even quicker)

Depending on when exactly you are traveling, they are also having a workshop called Stone in the Garden. They finally have a great workshop on my day off, and I have to go to Boston college-hopping with my son. I've been struggling with my conscience all week... after all, does my son really need to visit the colleges he is applying to? Can't he just look at the pictures on-line...???

:)
Dee

Here is a link that might be useful: BAN

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here