Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
First fall-blooming Camellias are here!

Posted by bill_ri_z6b (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 12, 13 at 12:06

Yesterday the first few blossoms of my "Snow Flurry" opened. I estimated over 700 buds on the plant! If the weather stays reasonably mild, they will bloom into December.

photo 2013-10-11Camellia_zps8a4a6f8b.jpg

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: First fall-blooming Camellias are here!

Bill, you must have magic dust or something! That's A LOT of buds. How nice you'll get such a great show. Your garden is really so beautiful and such a nice, interesting variety of plants. I always enjoy pics of your 'snow flurry' as well any pic of your garden. Do you find you have microclimates there with all the rock, stone and gravel you have?

Have you tried any spring blooming camellias?

o

• Posted by claire z6b Coastal MA (My Page) on
    Sat, Oct 12, 13 at 17:13

700 buds?!?! The poor thing is going to explode and faint away like a Victorian damsel. Get out the smelling salts!

Claire

o

Thyme,

I suppose the rock walls act as a heat reservoir to some extent, and the stone mulch out in the front xeric garden (cacti, yuccas, hesperaloe, lavender, ice plants, sempervivums, etc.) acts a bit to retain some warmth, but more importantly for succulent and desert plants, it keeps them drier in winter by keeping them above the soil.

I have four spring blooming Camellias. Two are "April Blush", one "April Dawn" and one that I think is "April Kiss". That last one was mis-labeled as "April Dawn" but it's not.

Here is "April Blush". The larger one is about 6 feet tall and 4.5 feet wide. This past spring it had over 200 flowrs.
 photo DSCF0129CR_zpscc5bd323.jpg

This is "April Kiss"
 photo DSCF0138R_zpsac6ff98e.jpg

And finally "April Dawn"
 photo DSCF0137R_zps4fb42de9.jpg

Photobucket

o

Yikes! Your "Snow Flurry" has over 700 buds!

(Speechless here, Bill.)

o

Molie, the plant is about 7 feet across and maybe 5 feet high. The buds form in clusters of 3-7 along the stems, so maybe 25-30 per stem. If I have a chance, I'll post a photo of the whole plant.

Photobucket

o

Thanks, Bill. I'd love to see full shots of your Camellias to get an idea of their eventual growth.

I've been researching Camellias to find one that would "fit" into my yard with its relatively windy conditions. I fear that the winds will do more harm than cold temperatures. However, several years ago I planted a Hydrangea --- not hardy in our zone --- in a very sheltered location and it has thrived. So we'll see.

Molie

o

Molie,
I took this last fall, but it's a pretty good example of how "Snow Flurry" grows. This one tends to spread rather than grow tall, and the stems and branches are softer than the spring blooming types. As you can see, there were many flowers already past (petals all over the ground) and many, many more white buds all over it. And this year it's bigger of course. I took it with my phone camera so not that great. Meanwhile, I am looking for a photo of "April Blush" and I'll post it when I find it.

photo 2012-10-28125011_zpsc2e5829d.jpg

Photobucket

o

OMG! I Love that shrub! It looks so different from the southern varieties my parents have. What a great looking shrub. And such a blooming powerhouse. Does it get any fall color? Or am I asking too much from one beautiful shrub?!

o

Thyme-
Thanks! Well being evergreen (one reason I like Camellias!) it doesn't lose leaves so no fall color (other than the flower show!). My spring blooming camellias probably look very much like the ones with which you are familiar. I'm looking for a photo of one of those now and will post when I find it.

Photobucket

o

Darn. I was half hoping it was like leucothoe which is evergreen but goes through changes of leaf color. 'Snow Flurry' will be in my garden sooner than later! Thanks

o

That's beautiful, Bill - Snow Flurry is on my short list now.

o

DTD, thanks. You should have good results on the cape with Camellias. Sandy acid soil, and if you have a spot under some tall pines, they would love it. Are you growing some already?

Photobucket

o

I've tried a few times, but only with tiny ones, and once with a pair had been forced for a flower show. The big trees in my yard (and neighbors' yards) are maples, so most of my shade in the past has been too dry.

I do have one small one - slightly crowded - that's still young (maybe 2 years?) and hasn't bloomed yet ... ever hopeful, though! Maybe I'll go out and water it now.

o

DTD, they don't have to be in complete shade. If they get morning sun and then shade from the hottest summer sun they will be OK. So at the edge (if there is one ) of the maple shadow, they may work for you

Photobucket

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here