Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Still Okay to Plant/Transplant?

Posted by ejr2005 Eastern MA (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 24, 13 at 12:50

I'm in Zone 6a West of Boston. I have a few hostas I'd love to move, and a Carex oshimensis 'Evergold', Japanese Forest grass, and a Hepatica nobilis in pots that I'd like to get in the ground.

It's been beautiful warm fall weather here and is just now turning colder. I'm wondering if there's still time to plant.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Still Okay to Plant/Transplant?

There's still plenty of time. You're fine.

o

Ditto tree_oracle. The ground won't begin to freeze for several more weeks. They should have plenty of time to get established.

o

Great - I'll be digging this weekend!

I always thought fall was a good time to plant, but this year a couple of daylily people told me I shouldn't plant after Labor Day.

o
Rule of Thumb

A planting 'rule of thumb' I learned here on GW with regard to perennials that bloom is as follows: if it blooms in spring, transplant it in fall; if it blooms in fall, transplant it in spring. I'm guessing the logic in that is to allow the plants the maximum amount of time to get established & avoid disturbing their bloom cycle.

"...I always thought fall was a good time to plant"

You're right--fall is a good time to plant/transplant--the cooler temps & fewer hours of daylight don't cause as much stress for the plants.

Considering daylilies can withstand a nuclear blast, I'm guessing you could move them whenever you can work the soil.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here