Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arbo_retum

amazing 50% sale at broken arrow, haddam ct. oct.17th

arbo_retum
14 years ago

Hmmmm, you lucky Ct. devils!! Some personal recommendations from this past june(but don't know if they still have them): spigelia marylandica, deutzia chardonnay pearls, halesia uconn wedding bells, panicum ruby ribbons,golden forsythia(mini), and everything else!!

best,

Mindy the Plant Enabler

END-OF-SEASON SALE (Saturday 8AM - 4:30PM)

Come to the nursery and check out the great selection of plants still available! Our one-day sale will include 50% off 2 and 3 gallon perennials and 50% off our 5 gallon and larger container trees and shrubs.

Comments (9)

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    14 years ago

Did anyone go to this? I received a notice about it, along with what looked like an interesting workshop on Stone in the Garden on the same day. I really wanted to go to the workshop, but had to go to MA to look at a college with my son.

I consoled myself with the thought that it was supposed to rain and be generally nasty out, but it turned out to be a decent if chilly day, and while tromping around the campus in MA I thought of the sale back in CT....

:)
    Dee

• ego45
    14 years ago

Mindy and Dee, I don't think you should cry about missing opportunity.
    It was a complete disappointment for me.
    I had to be at work ((35-40min drive from BAN) by 10am sharp, so I was by the gate at 8:15 and by 8:45 left home empty handed. Shrubs and trees section was full of common names (grown by someone else, not by BAN) and whatever was out of HD nomenclature was so puny looking that price wouldn't even matter. The only things that was in salable/presentable condition were cornus kousa 'Samaritan' (nice 5' tree-form in 15G, but I already have two) and heptacodiums of different sizes. I might missed something, but unless they were hiding some 'treasures' somewhere, it wasn't something you'd expect from BAN.
    I had no interest in perennials, so can't report on that department.

• arbo_retum
    Original Author
    14 years ago

george, so sorry it was disappointing. Plse tell us about Samaritan; I don't know it. If you have two, it must be special.
    best,
    mindy

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    14 years ago

Well, I feel *half* better, lol. The thing I really wanted to go to was the stone workshop. It sounded really interesting. The sale was the icing on the cake. I could have been happy having cake without icing, lol.

Sorry you were disappointed, George. Think of it this way (like I am) - think of the money you didn't spend, lol!

Dee

• ego45
    14 years ago

Cornus kousa SAMARITANÂ 'Samzam'
    20-25 ft. tall x 15-20 ft. wide, the most vigorous variegated clone and the most sun tolerant of all white-margined kousas, white margined, tinged reddish in fall,
    "offspring" of the 'Milky Way'.
    P.S. Very floriferous, but white bracts got lost somewhat between variegated foliage, however bright red fruits against the foliage in a fall makes it a really stand out plant.
    Could be used as a tall variegated background foliage plant for shady location.

• ejr2005
    13 years ago

I just found this searching for thoughts about Cornus kousa Samaritan. We're thinking about it for a specimen tree for the front of our house.

Ego - if you're still around - what do you think? I'm wondering because you were saying it was good as a background plant.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    13 years ago

Hi ejr. I can't help you with your question, but you might want to start a new, separate thread asking again. You might get more responses specifically for that than on this old thread about a old sale.

Dee

• arbo_retum
    Original Author
    13 years ago

yes, particularly since i am going to br arrow today and this keeps fooling me. no 50% off sale now.
    mindy

• ejr2005
    13 years ago

Sorry - I got too excited about my latest thought on specimen tree.

FYI - I too was disappointed with last years sale at Broken Arrow. Did return earlier this year and bought lots not on sale...