Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hardy Amaryllis (Hippeastrum "Sonatini") outdoors?

Posted by bill_ri_z6b (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 7, 13 at 13:32

I was wondering if anyone here is growing these hardy hybrids. They are sold as being hardy to zone 5b (-15 degrees F). They look like the common 'Amaryllis' that we see around Christmas. If they really are hardy, I have spot for them in my garden!

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hardy Amaryllis (Hippeastrum "Sonatini") outdoors?

• Posted by claire z6b Coastal MA (My Page) on
    Mon, Oct 7, 13 at 13:52

Brent and Becky's Bulbs sells Hippeastrum Sonatini 'Alaska'

"zones 7-10; also in zone 6 in sheltered locations, when planted deep and mulched well,"

Sounds like it might grow for you in Providence, RI but zone 5b is suspect. Brent and Becky's Bulbs is a reliable supplier.

Where did you see that zone 5b reference?

Claire

o

Breck's and Robersta's Gardens list them as -15 degrees F, but there are some skeptical comments when I Google these plants. That's why I was asking if anyone actually had them in our area. Actually, it sounds too good to be true, so it may not be. If they're not too expensive I might try some next year, but I'll be reading up on them this winter. I hate to see anything die.

Photobucket

o

While i would love for this to be true, I ran into a display at a local Walmart that also stated plainly as "minus 15 degrees F". I did a bunch of research and lots of sources seem to disagree. Some do say zone 5-, but others say 7-. I'll still pick some up at $10/2 bulbs.

o

Where are you located? My local Walmarts don't have anything in the garden areas yet.

Photobucket

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here