Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bare-rooted lupines, will they make it?

Posted by deanna_in_nh 5a/4b (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 4, 10 at 13:48

My weeding last year apparently wasn't too successful in one area. I WS Lupines this past year and planted them this spring in that spot. The weeds have grown up through the roots of the lupines to the point that my only option for total weed removal was bare-rooting the lupines. which I did yesterday. They are looking a little sad and limp, but are getting plenty of water. Do you think they'll make it this winter? Did disturbing them this late in the season spell certain death?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bare-rooted lupines, will they make it?

hmmmm..... IDK That musta been one u-g-l-y weed that HAD to go!
Good luck! I bet the Lupin bounces back.

o

I often find that my lupines don't overwinter well, perhaps just my seed strain, perhaps the voles find them particularly tasty. So I let them go to seed and sprout where ever they want and then remove ones that I don't want. If yours don't survive, let me know and I'll save you some seed next year.

o

Yes, it was U-G-L-Y. It's common, but I don't know it's name. Looks like a grass, but bends gracefully over rather than sticking straight up, gets almost a foot tall. The roots are white and splay out from a point. That means they are hard to pull because they anchor themselves. Like, they anchor themselves on my lupine roots. So, I bare rooted.

nhbabs, if you grow from seed, do yours bloom the first year? I only got two blooms, but I thought they weren't supposed to bloom the first year anyway. My soil was poor, and got serious organic compost enrichment during the bare rooting so next year they'll have a much healthier environment. Were they all supposed to bloom the first year?

o

I think that mine bloom their second year for the most part.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here