Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arbo_retum

unbelievable long blooming Roxanne geranium

arbo_retum
18 years ago

well, this is my first year growing this and i am dumbfounded as it just blooms its head off. it is actually giving the corydalis lutea a run for its money (but the corydalis does win because it begins blooming much earlier in the year). amazing!!i have it planted next to an all-yellow hachaenachloa(sp.) for a nice color and textural combo.

Comments (27)

• franeli
    18 years ago

I have found fall to be the best season for 'Rozanne'.
    Last year she bloomed until a hard frost here in Z4.

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    18 years ago

Isn't this a great plant? Believe it or not people have been dissing it on the perennial forum because it has a lax habit. I either site it to roam or cut back the roving stems in late August. So far it has yet to dissappoint after 3 or 4 years.

Sue

• Cady
    18 years ago

I put one in a raised bed with a lamium (chartreuse and green), and the two duked it out all summer. The "Roxanne" weaves through the lamium, the lamium cascades over the Roxanne, and they both do very well. It's fun to see Roxanne flowers sticking out of a lush mat of lamium.

Wonder why this fab new geranium cultivar is being dissed? Success depends on where you plant it and what you use it for. Knowing a plant's habit and using it to your advantage is the key.

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    18 years ago

I also have 'Rozanne' and found it to be the longest blooming of the hardy geraniums I've tried so far.

• gata
    18 years ago

I expected my Rozanne to behave as you describe, but inexplicably it hasn't. The 'Jolly Bee' however has not stopped since I planted it in July!!

• martieinct
    18 years ago

Different minds ... I got Rozanne because of the spreading habit. She will be living alongside some lacecap, pink- blooming hydrangea. Her bonus is the flowering habit -- to get two great colors out of new and old flowering is something special.

Martie

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    18 years ago

To my untrained eye, Rozanne and Jolly Bee look like the same plant.

Cady I was surprised too when the Rozanne naysayers appeared on the scene. "Flopping" I think was the biggest complaint. But this message thread is also posted on the perennial forum and getting positive reviews this time around.

Sue

• asarum
    18 years ago

I remember reading an article in which the author used it in a container or hanging basket instead of annuals. I plan to try this because it is such a steadfast bloomer for me.

• meeperx
    18 years ago

The ones I planted in part shade never became floppy,never developed a flush of new growth, and are still blooming.

The Rozannes I planted in full sun were quite unmanageble until it cooled down in september--they have shown a flush of new growth-but unfortunately, no blooms.

• daisy_lee
    18 years ago

WOW! This geranium sounds awesome! Does anyone have some seeds from their geranium to trade with me?

Thanks!

Daisy

• martieinct
    18 years ago

Others may correct me and I hope they do if my source was bad, but I don't think this would come true from seed. From what I know it is a 2nd generation hybrid. That far down the line and you're better off taking cuttings, or doing divisions.

It is an awesome plant.

Martie

• linda_msu
    17 years ago

Hi, everyone. I planted 'Rozanne' a year ago, and it was beautiful. I had planted geraniums before (Johnson's Blue, and one other) and they appeared in the spring in March. I don't see any new growth yet for 'Rozanne'. Should I be worried?
    Linda

• runktrun
    17 years ago

Linda,
    Last year was my first year with rozanne, mine are not up yet and my Johnsons Blue is. What do you think of Rozanne I know I am in the minority but I really loved the leaf and found the never ending in your face flowering too intense for front of the border location. I need to plant them with something that will quiet down the screaming a bit. kt

• ego45
    17 years ago

Ãount me in minority as well, though for another reason than Kate's.
    For the life of me I can't figure out what I need to give to her in order to grow. It does live here, meaning just survive, not prosper, but that's it.
    3 years, 6 plants, different locations, different sources -all the same results.
    However, Jolly Bee (which visualy I could define from Rozanne only by a name on a tag and maybe-maybe by a little bid less screaming color)) performs at 100%.

Linda, Rozanne is a late riser. Too early to be worry about.

• runktrun
    17 years ago

That's interesting Ego I can't get Jolly Bee to grow! kt

• bostonbound2
    17 years ago

Check out Patricia. It's quite a differnt plant and seems to grow diferently different years, but at its best I find it a more attractive plant

• runktrun
    17 years ago

bostonbound2,
    Funny you should mention Patricia...she is sitting in my shopping cart at the Lazy S Farm Nursery. This is what they have to say about her Geranium 'Patricia' Giant Cranesbill Zone: (4)5-8 cool areashot areas Big, bold dark green foliage. Bright pink-magenta flowers with a black, star-shaped center. EVERBLOOMING -- around 7 months in our area. But more fabulous -- it's huge -- it's more like a shrub! There is nothing else like this Geranium. Really! Clean, deep green foliage is excellent. Hybrid by Alan Bremner of G. endressii x G. psilostemon. Will often make it in Zone 4 if sited well but doesn't do well south of Zone 8. Soil: Any well-drained H: 24-36" W: 24-36" B/M: Pink-magenta 5-6 +.
    I am also considering ordering 'Midnight Reiter' which I have been unsuccessful with in the past but is such a beautiful plant I just can't give up. Here is what they have to say about that one Geranium pratense 'Midnight Reiter' Burgundy Foliage Geranium Zone: 5-7 "In the Northwest, more jaws have dropped over this plant than any other. We are talking about a DEEP purple leaved, semi-dwarf gem of a plant with large dark lilac flowers. Holds its color well. A tissue culture breakthrough! Summer dormant in hot areas.* A slow-grower that is perfect for the trough or rock garden. Plants are sensitive and require extra care." Terra Nova Soil: Moist but well-drained H:6" (9"IB) W: 12" B/M: Dark lilac/4-5 kt

Here is a link that might be useful: Lazy S Farm Nursery

• ego45
    17 years ago

Kate, while you are working on Lazy S order, check this out as well:
    Chelonopsis yagiharana (C. moschata) Japanese Turtlehead Z: 5-9
    A relative of our native Turtlehead (Chelone) but from Japan. It's a fabulous, undemanding plant that's wonderful but for the bloom and the timing -- deep reddish pink in late summer/early fall. The foliage clumps are neat and attractive all season. The rosy pink flowers look more like a Foxglove or Rehmania to me than a Turtlehead, if you can picture a deep, rosy pink Digitalis.

Soil: Rich, moist but well-drained H:24" W: Slowly indef. B/M: Deep reddish pink/8-Frost

• Monique z6a CT
    17 years ago

George funny you should bring up Chelonopsis yagiharana. I have 1 or 2 near one of my Geranium 'Rozanne' plants. You can see a few geranium flowers in the upper/right section of the first photo. Aren't we all such enablers LOL

• bostonbound2
    17 years ago

Patricia is just a plant you can tell is going to be there and going strong the next year. One of my other favorites is Geranium macrorrhyzum in the deep pink and rose magenta colors. It will grow in dry shade and has a foliage presence (partially evergreen) and fragrance although not necessarily all that pleasant. Not a long bloomer.
    Did anyone catch Geranium maderense (was at the flower show potted in the table setting section). Huge clusters of hundreds of in-your-face 1 1/2" rose pink flowers towering above the foliage. Easily by far the most spectacular geranium or pelargonium I have ever seen. Not hardy, though.
    Thanks for the very fine photos of Chelonopsis yagiharana, looks like another must have plant.

• diggingthedirt
    17 years ago

Yes, G. maderense was in the central exhibit, Miskovsky and Haskell's. I'd never seen one before - I wonder how old those plants were - the really thick stems made me assume the plants were ancient, but maybe not. Very unusual, anyway; I had to ask Paul M what the heck they were.

I'd been avoiding this thread because I admit I'm not a big fan of Rozanne (please don't shoot me). Good thing I checked in, I'd have missed that great turtlehead. Thanks George and Monique. Enablers, yes.

Big Dipper Farm has it too, at http://www.bigdipperfarm.com/cgi-bin/searchstuff.pl?Botanical=Chelonopsis

• runktrun
    17 years ago

Thanks Ego, Monique, & dtd,
    It's reassuring to know I can count on you all to support my addiction. kt
    Monique Beautiful photo as usual.

• runktrun
    17 years ago

bostonbound2,
    I wanted to personally welcome you to the enablers club, after doing a search for Geranium macrorrhyzum I stumbled on a site that was new to me and I was unable to leave without placing an order for eight plants. I thought I would share the site with you...right back attcha!!! kt

Here is a link that might be useful: Geraniaceae.com

• judithrod
    15 years ago

I bought "Rozanne" two years ago. I loved the color so I bought it even though I figured it probably would not survive a zone 4 winter, but it was worth a try. It not only survived, it thrived. This year it is huge. It covers an area about 36"x40" and has wound its way into some of the neighboring plants. It has climbed up into the rudbeckia and the combination is fantastic. I can't say enough for this plant.

• chardie
    15 years ago

Hi,
    I bought a Jolly Bee cranesbill last year and it never stopped blooming. Same thing this year, only got bigger. So I bought the Rozanne and it hasn't stopped blooming either. I wanted to buy a Johnson's Blue because I was hoping it would do the same thing. I like these plants because I just started a 13' x 31' garden a couple of years ago with a couple rosebushes so I really need stuff that fills up space.

• mehearty
    15 years ago

JB doesn't bloom like Roz for me. I like it because it blooms early and is just petering down when Rozanne kicks in. It's filler for me.

• summrbrzz
    12 years ago

My first year Rozanne has been just fabulous in a large pot on the patio. It was so dense and thick with blooms you could hardly see the pot! My question: how do I winter her? I'm afraid if I leave her in the pot in the yard she will freeze. Should I move the pot to the garage? Should I dig her up and put her in the ground? I prefer however to keep her in the pot.. Any thoughts?